Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING: All 4.0 owners check your motor mount/block Bolts!!!!

Grab a socket and check all the motor mount bolts that go into the engine block of your 4.0!!!! if any are loose, replace them now as odds are if ANY are loose then you have a stress crack in those that are NOT loose now! When the remaining bolts fail...you will be stuck with several sheared bolts in the engine block at best or cracked mounting bosses on the block.

Simply put....the right front (passenger) side motor mount/bolts that secure the lower mount mount to the engine block can vibrate loose a hair. This loads up the remaining two bolts, and they will start to stress crack. Then, on a normal highway drive without much load, go over a small bump and POP....The lower mount will then shear off the three grade #5 bolts that go into the engine block.

when this happens...the shifter will move 3 inches to the right, and you will hear the main cooling fan hitting the radiator shroud.....get off the gas, shut the motor down. you will save your radiator, a/c hard lines, and a bunch of other stuff.

To fix...my shop did everything but was only to get one bolt out. They replaced it with a new bolt, and heliarc welded the lower motor mount to the engine block bosses in two spots to prevent any movement or vibration from getting the plate loose ever again. If i ever pull the block, it can be machined off during the rebuild and the bolts removed.

i understand that a company is selling 'bomb proof motor mounts' for around $240 or so that utilize the 7 or 8 bolt studs available on that side of the motor. having seen what happened on mine...i hope i have saved everyone some trouble.

Reactions: fxer82 and lkvisser

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep, happened on my 95 a few years back pulling out of the driveway. I basically had to unbolt all drivetrane mounting bolts and drop the motor/tranny/x-fer case as one unit. This enabled me to get a drill bit square on the sheared off bolts by going through the wheel wells. Got two out and replaced. The third was a lost casue. I also had to put a helicoil in one of the holes. Quite possibly the worst experience yet with my jeep.

Reactions: RMoore

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
160 miles later...holding up well with the repair. Have now had several near full throttle freeway onramp blasts. The motor mount repair and all new bolts on both sides have really smoothed out engine vibration and accelerations feel "tighter" with less motor wobble. Jeimminny, wish I had known about this years ago!

Should be among the top things to check on any XJ besides a worn out cooling (primary) fan clutch!!!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct bolts for engine mount bolts that go into the block are Grade 5. You could use Grade 8, but good luck drilling those out if they should ever fail.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Best set of easy outs I've ever used.

The easy out itself is straight and fluted.

Each size has a matching collar that slips over it and allow the collar to slide up against the broken bolt/stud. This applies all of the torque to twist out the broken piece without snapping the easyout.

Using these, a right angle drill attachment and a centering drill, I was able to get the 2 broken bolts out of the block when my snapped off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In 252,410 miles, X2 motor mount bolts. The first set failed in 2003 at 142,000 or so miles. This set lasted until I hit a big rut on a forest road.

Now there's grade 8 bolts in there. I have to figure these will at least out last the original engine.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
could a vibrating at low speeds ( like parking lots ) till u get on the gas a little be motor mounts bein loose?

·
Registered
208 Posts
been there also, ran over a railroad track pretty hard motor mount bolts broke. I did not know one of the bolts had already came out and was gone.
The other 2 broke off in the block. I drilled out the bolts and used an ease out to get them out. Also had to use alot of heat from a torch. Not a good day.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Where is a good place to get new mounts and bolts? Also what brand are those ez outs pictured?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, I would like to know a little bit more about this as well. I have 220k on my motor and have never touched the motor mounts or bolts holding them in. Do you guys just go to the hardware store and get grade 8 stuff or is this a part that comes with aftermarket motor mounts? This is the first time I have heard about this problem, and I have been on this forum for awhile now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Iv'e never heard of this either. I'm at 180k. Could these bolts been from a bad batch or something? The bolts that break could they have been from engines that have been removed b4 and maybe over torqued when reinstalled or might not have been tightened enough.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts