Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I can relate. My hemi has 395 hp with the 3:92 ratio it's very peppy, getting into the wj seems kinda lackluster. I wouldn't want the hassle of adding potentially 100 more hp cause then you gotta do more work more upgrades amd where the he'll is it all gonna fit and image servicing everything after you just took up all the extra space you have left.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
To each their own. I have a lead foot. My ram tops out at 160 kph my jeep will hit 195 kph before I removed the speed limiter.

I talked myself out of a big speeding ticket once 150 in a 100 kph zone offset tires put h clocking me at 142kph. Told the guy the truth made him smile said I'll let you off lol. 300$ plus 2 points 100$ each

·
Registered
2002 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7
174 Posts
I have an 04 limited with 4.7 non h.o. I want to do a performance upgrade. Need suggestions. Would really like to do a supercharger.
a supercharger is not gonna get ya down the road without breaking your engine. even the forged cranks in the HO have broken up. best is to drop in a LS1.
junk yard 08 4.7 grand cherokee get the cams plus the intake manifold...the 08 4.7 cams are a step up from the HO cams, plus the 4.7 high performance intake manifold will give you alot of performance for a few dollars, if thats not enough get a computer tuner with all the bells and whissels..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
To each their own. I have a lead foot. My ram tops out at 160 kph my jeep will hit 195 kph before I removed the speed limiter.
Is everything okay with your Ram? Because a hemi should go well above that. In fact I know they do…I have one ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
a supercharger is not gonna get ya down the road without breaking your engine. even the forged cranks in the HO have broken up. best is to drop in a LS1.
junk yard 08 4.7 grand cherokee get the cams plus the intake manifold...the 08 4.7 cams are a step up from the HO cams, plus the 4.7 high performance intake manifold will give you alot of performance for a few dollars, if thats not enough get a computer tuner with all the bells and whissels..
Will the throttle cables be an issue? Vis a vi cabled and wireless?
Isn't the manifold too tall?
What about timing and firing order? Vis-a-vis cam position timing marks?

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Car Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas Auto part Nut

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Hood

Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I have the late cams in my standard 4.7, they really do make quite a difference. I had HO cams previously, those gave a good kick from the standard ones and the late ones add about the same amount again. I also have an HO air cleaner system, seems to make a bit of difference as well. I believe an 04 Ram Hemi has a cable accelerator pedal that goes to a module that converts the cable movement into an electrical signal to run the wired throttle body, that could be used to run the late TB instead of putting the smaller diameter earlier one on a late manifold. The biggest change in the late ones are the heads, they are changed substantially. The valves are the same size however the combustion chambers are much different with the dual plugs, the intake ports are moderately larger and the exhaust ports are much larger along with a compression increase.

Reactions: JonMopar

·
Registered
174 Posts
Will the throttle cables be an issue? Vis a vi cabled and wireless?
Isn't the manifold too tall?
What about timing and firing order? Vis-a-vis cam position timing marks?

View attachment 4133539
View attachment 4133538
View attachment 4133537
View attachment 4133535
View attachment 4133536
nice and clean engine compartment. you can't just drop in a 08 4.7 engine the computer doesn't work out.
you can get the 08 4.7 cams, manifold, larger TB you will need injectors, fuel pump to push the extra pounds of fuel pressure. check out MARTINBUILT on youtube subscribe to his channel then go to his videos and you will see one where he changes to the HO cam plus solid lifters.
another will be when he put in the 08 4.7 cam set, manifold, added a 75 mm TB and other stuff. that you can see what is truely involed with setting up the computer to except the new changes of cam, injectors, ect...he is THE guy on jeep WJ performance upgrades on youtube. a lot of great videos and he does drag race his 04 4.7 at the track some where in Nevada....

·
Registered
146 Posts
nice and clean engine compartment. you can't just drop in a 08 4.7 engine the computer doesn't work out.
you can get the 08 4.7 cams, manifold, larger TB you will need injectors, fuel pump to push the extra pounds of fuel pressure. check out MARTINBUILT on youtube subscribe to his channel then go to his videos and you will see one where he changes to the HO cam plus solid lifters.
another will be when he put in the 08 4.7 cam set, manifold, added a 75 mm TB and other stuff. that you can see what is truely involed with setting up the computer to except the new changes of cam, injectors, ect...he is THE guy on jeep WJ performance upgrades on youtube. a lot of great videos and he does drag race his 04 4.7 at the track some where in Nevada....
75mm is small. OEM. He doesn't touch the ECM or mention mods to the computer. He lowers the engine temporarily to get the manifold to fit. Once it's in he reinstalls the mounts. I think he uses a modified injector pattern.
ECM? no. I actually have a matched Throttle body and intake( matched and polished )Coming from 3rdStrike. It's an 87mm TB also hi-lift cams. When you installed your cams did you replace the guides? I took a look at my 2016 ( 2nd engine) factory long block it just clocked over 100,000 Duane recommended leaving everything alone. it's the density of the charge not volume of charge. Makes sense, right? Still sucking 4.7 liters of air just cooler denser. Air / fuel ratio is unchanged and in fact it's monitored via OEM manifold air temp sensor. It should adjust accordingly?
We talking same engine bud? Since the fuel pump and gas filter are modular and sold together what do you recommend? Going with dual filter and pumps?

·
Registered
174 Posts
75mm is small. OEM. He doesn't touch the ECM or mention mods to the computer. He lowers the engine temporarily to get the manifold to fit. Once it's in he reinstalls the mounts. I think he uses a modified injector pattern.
ECM? no. I actually have a matched Throttle body and intake( matched and polished )Coming from 3rdStrike. It's an 87mm TB also hi-lift cams. When you installed your cams did you replace the guides? I took a look at my 2016 ( 2nd engine) factory long block it just clocked over 100,000 Duane recommended leaving everything alone. it's the density of the charge not volume of charge. Makes sense, right? Still sucking 4.7 liters of air just cooler denser. Air / fuel ratio is unchanged and in fact it's monitored via OEM manifold air temp sensor. It should adjust accordingly?
We talking same engine bud? Since the fuel pump and gas filter are modular and sold together what do you recommend? Going with dual filter and pumps?
if you know it all then why ask questions about it just do it and blow that steel crank out of it.

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts