Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Voltmeter whoas?

Installed the rebuilt alternator and starts right up and idles nicely. Everything is hooked up but my voltmeter now reads just below 12V and does not move up. It's not the battery. What am I missing? If it sat for about 5 days, do I just drive it and watch to see if the meter starts to show movement when system starts to charge? When I turn my blinkers on, the meter drops to around 11V but jumps back to where it started off; @ 12V. Feels like it's wired backwards, lol. Everything works as normal otherwise! I'm tracing down ground wires to if if they may be the problem.

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll do that John. Not home right at moment. Before I left home, I checked contacts with test light and so far good. Fuses all looked good but I’ll dig deeper. If I turn my signals on, the VM moves slightly in to opposite direction; not to the right. Odd!

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Voltmeter whoas?

Jeep drove fine while running errands today but Volt gauge had me worried. Well, sure enough, I turned it off and it would not start back up!

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No luck here. Spent good amount of time tracing, cleaning and finally pulling Volt Gauge. I will most likely remove the dash on this one because I want to see more of what is where again. Guy that installed alarm setup did some funky stuff with some of the wiring so need to go through and clean it up myself to take the guesswork out of the equation.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Why did you replace the old Alternator? Do you have a one wire replacement or does it need a regulator? Pic of the Regulator? Most regulators you can jump from "+" to "F" and it will go to full charge if the alternator and wiring are good.

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced because of a bearing noise. Good thing too because the internal capacitor was literally attached by a wire strand of entire wire. Completely broke with slightest touch.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Remember a poor body ground can affect accessories including voltmeter, even with a good battery.

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, my grounds are good; dedicated to dash and back of Jeep and separate additional fuse box that houses accessories. I made an error which I’m sorting through and hoping it sorts out. Just waiting for additional parts.

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled a Delco-Remy 12si (3 wire) and replaced it with a Delco-Remy 10si (same wiring). Both rebuilt and wired exactly the same way prior to pulling. The 12si oddly had a questionable stator. Although this wasn’t the immediate issue, the alternator shop I’ve been in contact with are sending me details tomorrow since they are closed on weekends. That stator is the same size as the 10si and it shouldn’t be.

I am currently trickle charging the battery because it was drained when I drove it and awaiting a new multimeter tomorrow so I can continue testing. There was zero issue with 10si prior other than I simply wanted to upgrade amperage. So, hopefully it cranks right up. With the 12si, I did accidentally touch the alternator body to bracket unaware that battery cable had moved and was touching terminal. It sparked!

So, I was wondering if I did something to that Voltmeter because all other gauges work. Can not wait for meter to arrive!

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SOLVED:

Did a bunch of cleaning and replacing wires and terminals. Some were just simply aged. Slapped in some new battery terminals (military) and she cranked right up with Volt gauge shooting right up to 14V; this is with the 10si. I gave the battery a 2 day slow trickle charge over the weekend so that helped. It was drained. Also, the new multimeter was well received.

Now on to reinstalling the gauge and reconnecting the stereo.

Thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts