Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Wk2 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, 5.7 Gas, 4WD, Tow Package

I had my oil changed at a Speedee Oil Change service, and immediately afterwords noticed a burning oil smell coming into the cabin (through the vents) when stopped (e.g. at a stop light). Apparently the oil filter was "defective" and/or leaking slightly. Speedee Oil Change replaced it and I've been waiting for the burning oil smell to disappear completely. Well, it hasn't - even after 150 miles or so, although it's very subtle at this point. There is no visible oil leakage or smoke that I can see, although it does appear to be more on the passenger side of the engine.

I tried cleaning things up with some Gunk Engine Bright & Foamy, just to clear off any residue that might have been spilled by Speedy Oil change, and that helped, but it's been a week (maybe 100 miles) and the oil smell is still there, although very subtle.

Since it hasn't burned off from driving many miles, I'm thinking that there must be some oil (or oil residue) not on the hot engine block but on something cooler but near the passenger side catalytic converter. Hence it is cooled by the air when driving (and not hot enough to burn), but is heated from the catalytic converter when stopped. There isn't enough smoke to see, or smell when stopped in my garage, but I can get a whiff every once in a while when I stop at a stop sign or traffic light. I do think it's odd that the cabin air intake pulls air from inside the engine compartment. You would think it would pull it from the vent on the top passenger side. I'm wondering if there is a piece of shielding missing below the cabin air intake.

My next step is to pull off the engine skid plate and get a closer look underneath.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
thought on your fan and smell -
maybe time for a new cabin filter, I am sure they have some that will help with the smell...

Electric Cooling fan what I figured out after wife 'mentioned' smell over and over -
there are times when engine fan is OFF the engine fumes tended to concentrate's at stops.
When fans stayed on the air under hood is moving,
With old type always on fans the HVAC did not injest the stagnant oil smelling air.
Nor did the drifting exhaust fumes seam to get drawn in.

In the north where raod salt is common some car washes directed some spray upward onto chassis - might help with oil smell at least the jeep will be clean.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,133 Posts
It can take a good 500 miles for some oil spills to burn off. Make sure all of the crankcase ventilation hoses are on tight.

A cabin air filter contaminated with oil fumes will continue to smell for awhile, so perhaps change it. There are carbon versions that freshen up the air a bit.

Oil dropping on an exhaust pipe or manifold will burn off. It will smell but not leave much of a trace.

The HD fan ia always spining and moving air. It ramps up speed only as needed to keep the engine coolant at the desired temperature.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a similar experience recently when I changed my oil (2015 Limited, 5.7). I had a very slight oil smell every time I drove it. I saw a drip on the end of the small chute under the oil filter, so I decided to change the filter (and throw away a half-quart of synthetic oil 🙁). I cleaned up the chute and the places where the oil can drip when you remove the filter, installed a new filter and topped off the oil. That took care of it for me, although there was no obvious leak from the filter. It must have been very small. I'd give it some time to burn off completely on yours, and just keep an eye on the floor for drips, and the dipstick to make sure there's not a significant leak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I ended up doing two things. The first is that I replaced the cabin air filter with a Wix MicroGuard 4031HP, which has particulate, activated carbon, electrostatic, and HEPA filtering layers. This seemed to fix the problem. In addition, I had my oil and filter changed by Jeep, just in case there was a defective or slightly leading filter, too much oil, or who knows what. It seems to be good for the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts