Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
On my current, an '04, the Vari-Lok did not work in the rear when I bought it. Fluid change (AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-140) and limited slip additive (AMSOIL Slip Lock) brought it back to life. To confirm operation, with the wheels off the ground turn one wheel, the other will turn in the same direction. However, unlike a Posi, it does not turn the same way direction right away - initially it will turn in opposite directions like an open diff. It may take an almost full revolution before it will change direction. Since my NV247 doesn't work in full-time 4wd, I confirmed my operation by way of a smokey 2 wheel burnout, because I am a child. 11's on the pavement = functional Vari-Lok. ;) :geek: Also, if you use Mopar diff fluid, it should have the additive already in it, but an extra 2oz doesn't hurt. In the case of a "burnt" Vari-Lok clutch, the extra additive can often shock it back to life.

There is also this thread that has a more thorough test for functionality: I need for clutch pack for WJ's rear Vari Lok

Side bar - I've heard limited slip additive can shock a burnt NV247 back to life as well, but in my case it must have been too late - when I changed the transfer case fluid it was full of black ATF that had probably been in there for 60k+ miles. Chrysler blew it on that one - with transfer cases before and after the NV247 using ATF, I feel like they should have put a "NO ATF" warning tag by the TC fill plug for dummies. Even the dealerships were dumping ATF in them.....

Reactions: fxer82

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
ATF isn't bad for the 247, it just makes a lot of noise when cornering
My understanding is that the noise is binding from the full-time 4wd clutch not slipping as it should when cornering. It does allow for slip when Mopar TC fluid or 5w-30 synthetic hydraulic fluid is used. I've also read the geo-rotor pump that operates the clutch doesn't like ATF and fails. Not stating as such as fact, but it is how I have come to understand it from what I read when trying to figure out why my "new" (now 2yrs ago) WJ didn't have full-time. I've looked at drawings, and watched rebuild videos, but I have not personally had one open so I can only go on what I've read. While it doesn't matter anymore as mine doesn't work and I've no intention of repairing, but I currently run AMSOIL 5w-30 Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil, and 4oz of their Slip Lock friction modifier. That said, I still 100% agree that different sized tires will smoke a TC as well. I believe Chrysler said no more than 3/32" wear difference between front and rear....

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
the BLACK WJ is so good looking.
+1. I LOOOOVE my Midnight Blue Pearlcoat. But had I bought it brand new back in 2004, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat with Sandstone leather is definitely what I would have ordered....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.