Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Side bar - I've heard limited slip additive can shock a burnt NV247 back to life as well, but in my case it must have been too late - when I changed the transfer case fluid it was full of black ATF that had probably been in there for 60k+ miles. Chrysler blew it on that one - with transfer cases before and after the NV247 using ATF, I feel like they should have put a "NO ATF" warning tag by the TC fill plug for dummies. Even the dealerships were dumping ATF in them.....
ATF isn't bad for the 247, it just makes a lot of noise when cornering. The WJ was a high end soccer-mom-mobile when new. They didn't like the noises and vibrations, so Jeep spec'd a wet clutch fluid that is made for tractors, to quiet it down. The number one killer of the progressive coupler in the 247 is owners that ran slightly different size tires front and rear. (Often it was 2 brand new tires and 2 "not worn out yet!" tires). This would cause the driveshafts to rotate at different speeds all the time, thus engaging the coupler, but it couldn't force the front and rear tires to go the same speed on dry pavement and would slip like crazy on the highway. :( This would burn out the clutches, much like what happens to an automatic transmission that has run low on fluid. Once the clutches are burned out, they're useless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts