Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Fixed it for you

who wants a tj or a jk anyway?
hey you can spin it however you see fit. not saying i disagree, just the point im making is they made a version of the wrangler for 20 years with no disconnect system and there were no problems i can think of.

And hey! I'll have you know I love my (wifes) JK...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
just to put things in perspective in the keep vs delete debate:

Chrysler decided to do away with any kind of CAD or locking hub system for both the TJ and JK. so it's pretty easy to argue that it's a mostly pointless system.
I would agree. Today I decided that since the front diff is engaged, and the T case is not, that I would make the journey to town and see how it goes with essentially the same thing as a delete kit installed. And I'm happy to report that it did just fine. And it was why I decided to just get the delete kit and be done with it. It's 99 bucks here in Canada, and I'm going to set it and forget it haha. I'm completely over the vacuum line headache 🤣

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
It's 99 bucks here in Canada

it’s completely free here in Vermont, USA​

All the YJs sold here have E-clips in the fork housing and you just remove the right one and slide the fork over, replace E-clip. Free.

But I still don’t get why one wouldn’t want the CAD. It works so well and got most people maintenance free for 30 years.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

it’s completely free here in Vermont, USA​

All the ones sold here have E-clips and you just remove the right one and slide the fork over, replace E-clip. Free.

But I still don’t get why one wouldn’t want the CAD. It works so well and got most people maintenance free for 30 years.
Mine doesn't work so well, and after 30 years, half the vac lines are plugged off. That's why I decided to go with the delete I gues. I mean it's a daily Jeep not a 69 Camaro restoration

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Mine doesn't work so well, and after 30 years, half the vac lines are plugged off. That's why I decided to go with the delete I gues. I mean it's a daily Jeep not a 69 Camaro restoration
Sure. I understand that.
But the parts to be all new are less than the ‘delete kit.’ If you buy it.
My 89 had the shakes so I did the cable plan ‘temporarily’ and several years later installed vac stuff from a ‘91. Never failed to engage nor required rocking the heep to disengage. And with a front locker there’s way less mileage wear. And it works.

To each their own. I just like it working for me.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
The CAD is a great system and the fact that in many cases it held up for 30 years without failure supports that. But yet people look for ways to bypass a system that lasted so long and end up with other systems that maybe last a year or two, or constantly need adjustment or fiddling.

Nuff said though. To the OP, you do not want to hear my opinions. As I recollect, you wanted suggestions on a fuel pressure regulator to put a band aid on a basic carb issue. When I went into careful detail to explain it to you and be helpful, I became somehow boastful, self serving, or maybe a bigger word that you had to show your nads with or something, nails on a chalkboard may have been closer to your correct words.

In fact, you totally sidestepped your original thread to say that you replaced your carb and all was good. The thing that I said was suspect in the beginning. Nope though. My explanation to help you was self serving and nails on a chalkboard.

So I digress. Delete the CAD system. It failed tenfold less times than your fluids, tune up parts, brakes, belts, etc. It really is unreliable. It outlasted most stuff on your Jeep. But I agree, it has to be a POS. Never mind all the threads about deletes that do not last as long as a spark plug.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,860 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Im all for ditching the CAD, but for a 1 piece shaft. Not the cable garbage. The cable route is what people end up having issues with. When you switch to a one piece axle shaft like every other jeep, it will outlast your new replacement vacuum CAD system.

FWIW They did bring back CAD axles in Ram trucks around 2013. Most people still didnt like them lol And then Ram did away with it again around 2018

·
Registered
321 Posts
Im all for ditching the CAD, but for a 1 piece shaft. Not the cable garbage. The cable route is what people end up having issues with. When you switch to a one piece axle shaft like every other jeep, it will outlast your new replacement vacuum CAD system.
That’s my next move, once I break my shaft(s). That or try to find a D44 to throw in there.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
And Ill be 63, whats your point? Just because either of us may or may not be living in 30 years doesnt justify one fix being better than the other. Or are you saying that youll be dead before having to deal with the CAD system again so you dont care lol In that sense, just lock the fork over and it'll probably last you another 30 years

If I had to keep the CAD for some reason, I would fix the factory vacuum system before using a cable setup. But the one piece is a quicker, cheaper, stronger and a longer lasting fix/upgrade than dealing with a neglected CAD system.

·
Registered
434 Posts

FWIW They did bring back CAD axles in Ram trucks around 2013. Most people still didnt like them lol And then Ram did away with it again around 2018
and if im not mistake, you can use WJ CV shafts. I know that works for TJs at least. better than u-joints, and you can get em at autozone for cheap with a warranty

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
and if im not mistake, you can use WJ CV shafts. I know that works for TJs at least. better than u-joints, and you can get em at autozone for cheap with a warranty
Just playing the devils advocate and not disagreeing but which one is a more likely and easily accomplished trail repair? ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just playing the devils advocate and not disagreeing but which one is a more likely and easily accomplished trail repair? ;)
carry a spare?
i mean you're absolutely right. u-joints can (sometimes) be replaced as opposed to a blown CV joint, but that just comes down to personal preference as far as what you're willing to be prepared for, ya know?
"do i want something less likely to break? or something that i might be able to fix when it inevitably DOES break"

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sure. I understand that.
But the parts to be all new are less than the ‘delete kit.’ If you buy it.
My 89 had the shakes so I did the cable plan ‘temporarily’ and several years later installed vac stuff from a ‘91. Never failed to engage nor required rocking the heep to disengage. And with a front locker there’s way less mileage wear. And it works.

To each their own. I just like it working for me.
Well here in Canada, the parts I've been able to source, are the switch- $30, the vac lines kit- $70, the actuator- $150. While the delete kit is $99. And right now, it's engaged with no wobbles. I get what you're saying as well, but right now there's so much going on and all I care about is reliable for cheaper. Tough times are ahead of us. Frugal is probably good

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
carry a spare?
i mean you're absolutely right. u-joints can (sometimes) be replaced as opposed to a blown CV joint, but that just comes down to personal preference as far as what you're willing to be prepared for, ya know?
"do i want something less likely to break? or something that i might be able to fix when it inevitably DOES break"
And you are correct also. I don't know if the WJ CVs are strong or not but there are for sure some aftermarket RCVs that are very very strong. As far as carrying a spare RCV itself, you would only need to carry one outer, one boot and both inners to have the whole thing covered.

In the ideal world our stuff just doesn't ever break on the trail. Big tires, big rocks, big balls, and just being a guy makes things happen. LOL.

Reactions: calisk8er1080

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
the delete kit is $99. … all I care about is reliable for cheaper. Tough times are ahead of us. Frugal is probably good
Then don’t buy the delete kit.
Open up the freakin’ thing and move a E clip over, change the diff fluid and clean out the cad housing of old for fresh while you’re in there and have black RTV handy.
I just laugh at CAD Delete Kit as a phrase and as a purchase. IT’S A FREE MODIFICATION FOR PETESAKE

21 - 40 of 42 Posts