Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. I am having difficulty finding a USA made R&P. Richmond is made in China. Dana SVL made in India. Yukon is made in Korea.

Anyone know who makes an R&P made in the USA? I guess there arent any. Who would be the best off shore made to choose from? I refuse to buy anything made in China unless its Taiwan. F*ck a bunch of Communists.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This chart must be supplied from Yukon since they got 5 stars in every category, lol. It actually was on a listing for USA Standard and it scores them pretty low. Really surprised at Richmond (China) being scored so low on noise.

·
Registered
18,209 Posts
I'm using USA Standard, because well.... they were cheap.

I used to use Sierra Gear in my old axles, I'm assuming they're still around, but likely made in China as well.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
From what i have heard been a long time since they were made here. reality is only a few places do and they brand it.... out sourced. Why you think stuff is hard to get.

Gear sets as much as one claims over the other. Much of that list more about who sets them. Need stronger gear set go bigger....

People buy a jeep today thinking its USA. Reality, not even close. not owned by an american corp as well. Oddly the most American vehicle i read and by far is a Tesla part for part.

·
Premium Member
8,958 Posts
Several years back Yukon gears were made in Italy and they set up and ran excellent. Not sure if they changed manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
I saw an older set of Motive gears that were made in Italy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good input and thanks. Yukon is highly touted and apparently the info on Amazon is old if the box now says made in China. Motive has two 4:10 sets, one with a 1 year guarantee, the other 2 years with a premium price. The descriptions arent any different, it may be because of the different warranty period.

Looks like I could put all the names in a hat and pick one out and most likely get one made in China now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have never seen it in writing but always heard that USA Standard was Yukon's economy brand. If Yukon is made in China I wonder where USA Standard is made, cheaper than China.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I bought the cheapest gears I could at the time, from a quality source. They were Motive. No idea where they are made. At the time, people pooh-pooed the brand saying it was only good for value and you HAD to use Yukon if you were after quality.

They don't make noise and they were within tolerances. They ran really hot during the break-in period, but I've never had any issues with them. Oil always comes out clean.

EDIT: Here's some more information. https://wrangler tj forum.com/threads/what-im-hearing-about-ring-pinion-quality.31859/

Just remove the spaces. I guess the new owners of the site don't like it when we share good information.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought the cheapest gears I could at the time, from a quality source. They were Motive. No idea where they are made. At the time, people pooh-pooed the brand saying it was only good for value and you HAD to use Yukon if you were after quality.

They don't make noise and they were within tolerances. They ran really hot during the break-in period, but I've never had any issues with them. Oil always comes out clean.

EDIT: Here's some more information. https://wrangler tj forum.com/threads/what-im-hearing-about-ring-pinion-quality.31859/

Just remove the spaces. I guess the new owners of the site don't like it when we share good information.
Checking out the link you provided for Dana Aftermarket yields SVL brand on the Dana Spicer website. The WranglerTJ forum does speak well of them and Richmond.

I too believe anyone who has noise issues didnt set up their gears properly. I am looking for longevity, hence, dependability. I know China can produce some decent stuff but its the thought of contributing to their economy I dont want to do. Italy, India, Korea, no problem. I am afraid I will research this thing to death and still get a box with "Made in China". Yukon is lauded all over as the "best" but made in China now. Will they be of the same or better quality than the Korean gears? I doubt it.

Keep the ideas coming fellers, I am hoping to choose and have a gear set show up next week. My lift kit is here and a big order from ECGS on the way. I have a ton of parts waiting for installation and I dont want to have this large investment sitting around.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go down to post #18. Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner but I remember seeing this when I was researching gears.

https://www.ppirate4x4.com.com/threads/dana-svl-gears.2472305/
Thanks Waternut, the write up by the industry guy was excellent. I will choose from one of the three or four he said were of good quality. Motive, Revolution, US Gear, or even SVL. A little more research and double check of where they are made and the "Buy it Now" button.

Thanks to all who have contributed!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts