Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice! You guys hit up the Thunderbowl? I stopped there back in July, super cool place. Kinda upset I missed out on this event, been trying to get into some trail rides and meet some new wheeling buddies. I'll have to stay tuned into this thread, hope to see you guys doing something like this again!

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I have done this every October for around 10 years now. You are welcome to join us next year if you wish. Contact me ahead of time incase I forget about this thread. Oh, yes, that is the Thunderbowl. Great place to unleash the LS.

·
Registered
863 Posts
What's the next big event for Drummond Island?
I would like to hit the dunes on the way up and then come down on the Wisconsin side.
I'm off around the 4th of July, but I'm thinking everything would be extra crowded. So maybe later in the year would be better.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
I haven't heard of any events coming up. Houghton MI does a mud bog every Summer that I've heard from Friends is fun to watch (or compete in if mud is your thing).

If you have any Jeep trouble on your way down the WI side let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Heads up for all following this...….

I will be doing another U.P. Fall Color Ride this year. It will be the first weekend of October. (October 5th and 6th) I know it's a bit early but no sense waiting until the last minute. If you are interested in this please post up and I will get more info to you when the time gets closer. This is limited due to the logistics of this ride so please let me know when you can.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Heads up for all following this...….

I will be doing another U.P. Fall Color Ride this year. It will be the first weekend of October. (October 5th and 6th) I know it's a bit early but no sense waiting until the last minute. If you are interested in this please post up and I will get more info to you when the time gets closer. This is limited due to the logistics of this ride so please let me know when you can.
Unless I can't keep the new Jeep running and/or finish up the other, my wife and I are in (1 Jeep).

·
Registered
863 Posts
I plan on being at Drummond Island the weekend of July 6th. If anyone's free that weekend, I would love to have someone to show me around. Looking for lodging too. Probably wont have camping gear yet. Hope the water goes down, I'll still be on 33s.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Unless I can't keep the new Jeep running and/or finish up the other, my wife and I are in (1 Jeep).
It would be great if you can make it this year. Plus that would mean that awesome Jeep of yours is done. Well, I'm hoping for that anyway. It still makes me want to take the day off to come and see it. You as well of course.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
It would be great if you can make it this year. Plus that would mean that awesome Jeep of yours is done. Well, I'm hoping for that anyway. It still makes me want to take the day off to come and see it. You as well of course.
I sure hope so! There's going to be some large delays that I can't help such as sending the coilovers off to be tuned but thankfully it's not race season so the delays shouldn't be too bad. It looks like I'll be down your way later this month getting the tires balanced in Greenbay.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
I would also like to take the back roads across the top (coming up the Wisconsin side). What's the best route or source for maps?
How back road are you talking? Once you get past somewhere between Escanaba and Green Bay the driving is relaxed and remote even on the main roads/highways and pass through small towns with small diners and stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
It looks like I'll be down your way later this month getting the tires balanced in Greenbay.
Let me know in advance. If I'm available that day I will buy you lunch while you wait.

·
Registered
863 Posts
How back road are you talking? Once you get past somewhere between Escanaba and Green Bay the driving is relaxed and remote even on the main roads/highways and pass through small towns with small diners and stuff.
I was thinking forest service roads, but that might take too long. I was planning on driving from Milwaukee to Drummond in one day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forest service roads in the UP are awesome! I'd recommend planning your trip on on google maps and seeing if there are any fun detours you might be able to work in along the way. Tons of amazing wilderness to experience up there, and light duty trails are certainly one of the best ways to take it all in. Like Toximus posted, all the main roads are prime for crusing. Even on the busiest weekends of the year, traffic in the UP is a joke and the roads are wonderfully smooth.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Forest service roads in the UP are awesome! I'd recommend planning your trip on on google maps and seeing if there are any fun detours you might be able to work in along the way. Tons of amazing wilderness to experience up there, and light duty trails are certainly one of the best ways to take it all in. Like Toximus posted, all the main roads are prime for crusing. Even on the busiest weekends of the year, traffic in the UP is a joke and the roads are wonderfully smooth.
The most difficult thing about even using Google maps is that if you're actually trying to get someplace and not just exploring, the entire area has lots of dead ends, gates, incorrectly mapped roads and trails, etc. You can be 30 minutes down even a paved road and find that it doesn't connect how you thought it would or a berm has been placed so you can see the road but you don't drive over the berm to get to the road. Most of the mapping was done in the 80s and some future road plans somehow got into the maps. Those plans fell through and new roads have been added so the maps aren't great. Also, don't use snowmobile trails (sometimes also listed as forest roads on some maps) as any indication of being able to pass through. Many go through wet areas that freeze in the winter and are either too deep to cross or protected wetlands.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
I plan on being at Drummond Island the weekend of July 6th. If anyone's free that weekend, I would love to have someone to show me around. Looking for lodging too. Probably wont have camping gear yet. Hope the water goes down, I'll still be on 33s.
Depending on how deep I am into my build, I might be interested in joining you for a day if you're still looking for people. My replacement locker pump is still on back order so I'm probably more interested in taking in the sights and relaxing than bombing across the island. If that fits your wheeling style, let me know and we can keep in touch as things get closer.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.