4-speed Atlas: $2875
3-speed Stak: $2900

Klune: $2600
^^damn thats expensive.

My idea:
Rubicon NV241J: $800-1000
AA Rubicrawler: $1600
Total: $2400-2600

Saves a few hundred bucks and doesn't change the drivetrain length at all.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
4-speed Atlas: $2875
3-speed Stak: $2900

Klune: $2600
^^damn thats expensive.

My idea:
Rubicon NV241J: $800-1000
AA Rubicrawler: $1600
Total: $2400-2600

Saves a few hundred bucks and doesn't change the drivetrain length at all.
I would rather spend a few hundred more and have a gear driven transfer case, and I only had to shorten the rear drive line a half inch, so I don't think changing the drivetrain length was a big deal in my case.

·
want it rite or rite now?
6,033 Posts
I'll be going after the rubicrawler also.. wont' need any new driveshafts, shift linkages... ect.

I'd say since I havn't busted the 241 yet, it'll prolly last a long time...

I do like the atlas tho.. that's for sure

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I'll be going after the rubicrawler also.. wont' need any new driveshafts, shift linkages... ect.

I'd say since I havn't busted the 241 yet, it'll prolly last a long time...

I do like the atlas tho.. that's for sure
If I had a 241 I wouldn't replace it for an Atlas, but by the time you buy a used 241 and add a rubicrawler to it its getting too close to the price of a brand new atlas 4 me.:thumbsup:

·
This post/info=my opinion
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
If I had a 241 I wouldn't replace it for an Atlas, but by the time you buy a used 241 and add a rubicrawler to it its getting too close to the price of a brand new atlas 4 me.:thumbsup:
but you can put a 241 in for the same price as a SYE installed. Run it for several years, then add a Rubicrawler for less than half the cost of Atlas 4-speed once you figure new driveshafts, tub hammering and linkages. I can't afford a Rubicrawler or an Atlas right now. But a NV241J + $20 used Rubicon front driveshaft + 1310/1330 u-joint + Tom Woods rear shaft is doable, and will work forever if I want. Once I do get the money saved for a Rubicrawler, I can install it with zero changes to the drivetrain.

Compare that with an SYE in the NP231, a Teralow in the NP231, then blowing it up. Then going to an Atlas. Thats very spendy for the same result.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What do you have planned for the 241 linkage? Factory or aftermarket? I thought about reusing my factory stuff, but I did not like the feel of the engagement. After having the Novak 231 shifter I went with their new 241 cable shifter.

·
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
What do you have planned for the 241 linkage? Factory or aftermarket? I thought about reusing my factory stuff, but I did not like the feel of the engagement. After having the Novak 231 shifter I went with their new 241 cable shifter.
Interesting, i'll look into that. I was just going to fabricate something if necessary or bend the stock linkage to make it work. Do you have any pics of the cable shifter?

·
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Here is the only picture I have of it.

It uses the stock lever so you don't have to bend the shift arm like the old models.
I can't find that on Novak's website.:confused:

Question: Anyone know where I can find the speedo tone ring sending unit for the NV241J? The wires are all chewed up on this one. P/N: 05033202AB ??? maybe??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Do you have a pic of the wires that are chewed up? Are they the 241 harness wires to the PCM? If they are you might get lucky and be able to reuse the 231 harness and connector. But with out a pic I am just guessing.

x2 on giving them a call. Ask for the SK3x.

·
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Found the Vehicle Speed Sensor (I hope) - AIRTEX Part # 5S4942

Ordered ACDELCO PT724 and AIRTEX 1S4219 for the 4wd light too.

I'll post more info when I get everything.

Watching the craigslist for Rubi front driveshafts...I think I can swap the axle side u-joint to a 1310/1330 instead of swapping the front yoke. For $20 its worth a shot.

·
24,202 Posts

·
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
And the 42RLE issues begin....

Just had a local trans shop drop the pan and replace the filters and do the partial fluid change. They were significantly cheaper than the dealer, even tho I had them use Mopar filters and ATF4+.

They found a piece of a snap ring and lots of metal fillings stuck to the magnet. Lots of brass shavings in the fluid. Took it to the dealership with the piece of the snap ring and this info, looks like I need a trans rebuild or possibly an entirely new trans. I'll know more Wednesday when the stealership gets the trans disassembled. To top it off, since the Chrysler factories have been shut down, there is a huge parts shortage and I might not have a Jeep for a week or more...waiting for parts. Welp, the powertrain warranty should pay for itself with this one.

The trans shifts fine and I see no signs of slippage, service manager at the dealership said the TCM likely compensated for the damage by increasing the line pressure to keep slippage minimized.

I also learned the 42RLE's shift points can be 'reprogrammed' if you get the TCM reflashed back to its completely virgin state using the StarSCAN - just like it came off the assembly line. You then need to shift manually for a week - at the points you want the trans to shift. It will ***SUPPOSEDLY*** learn the new shift points.

81 - 100 of 725 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.