Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
i just changed mine on my 81 with the hard plastic ones and it stopped my smoking problem, so they must work. Let us know how they do, are they the rubber ones:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, just checked AZ, not sure the size of the stock valves.

I was also thinking of the old school umbrellas where as they slipped over the valve w/out machining.

I have good compression but it does have a little smoke on start up and a little at idle but nothing to write home about, I leak more (which I'm gonna fix) from the valve cover than anything.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...filterByKeyWord=valve+seals&fromString=search

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me, too

I also ordered a gasket kit that came with those umbrella seals for my 258/4.2L I6 in my '81 CJ7, but the ones on my engine are different than the ones in the kit. I don't know why. I was hoping someone on here could tell me. After finally removing one of the valve springs, I found the umbrella seal was sloppy. I grabbed one out of the kit, and it didn't go down far enough and was too wide. The original one fits inside the new one. Does anyone know if there is a year issue or something? This is my first time tearing into a Jeep engine. I also don't know if it's the original engine. I checked the head gasket in the kit, and it matches the original one though.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also ordered a gasket kit that came with those umbrella seals for my 258/4.2L I6 in my '81 CJ7.....
I went to reputable parts dealer who told me that some moron put the wrong valve stem seals in, and the new ones I had were the right ones. The old ones sealed against the head casting, wearing out the seal around the stem, instead of travelling with the stem. I put the new ones on, cleaned all the burnt oil and crap out of the combustion chambers, and it runs like a beast with no oil coming out the tailpipe! I pretty much ended up doing a top-end overhaul because someone else put the wrong damn parts in. Another fine example of, "Do it right the first time..."
When in doubt, ask somebody!:highfive:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.