Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Ugliest CJ7 ?

1668 19
1976 CJ7, Got this from a neighbor, she said engine was bad, parked since 2014. I trailered it home, some minor work and it runs and drives fine, body has rust and looks ugly,
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Sky
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

good to use on the ranch instead of a quad
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,879 Posts
IDK... don't see ugly at all?

Patina for sure, but not ugly!

I'd fog a little blue back on that hood, and sand the rest even but not down/off. A little clear, and you are good to go!

Hoss

·
Registered
1978 Jeep Cj5 OEM AMC 304
602 Posts
It’s beautiful. Perfect patina. Don’t change a thing.

·
Premium Member
9,576 Posts
If you tidy the rust a bit and put a lacquer or clear coat on it you can keep that look.

A solid Jeep that is like a blank canvas, nothing is impossible

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Use a rattle can rust killer on the surface rust. Follow the instructions and use a matte or satin clear coat. You'll keep the patina.

I would do something with those seats. That foam will soak up the rain and you never want to experience the surprise while driving of a spring breaking and coming through the seat foam. Don't ask how I know!

·
Registered
2003 Wrangler RHD
8,179 Posts
i would love to have that jeep as it sits. some replacement seats and its good to go

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This is my candidate. Saw it at a car show in MO a few years ago.
Look at the badge on the hood - to add insult to injury, this is/was a Tuxedo Park Mark IV.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is my candidate. Saw it at a car show in MO a few years ago.
Look at the badge on the hood - to add insult to injury, this is/was a Tuxedo Park Mark IV.

View attachment 4161702
Its kind of cool until you meet the guy that drives it and realize he bought from some guy that lives in Bute Mo and not because it was an "economical decision" I love that "so you must be a welder" commentary

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,879 Posts
I'd have to know that it was a fully functional/pristine tuxedo park edition which was castrated and hacked to bits before I'd lay shame on that build.

If it was abandoned parts pieced together, and has the under pinning of an undesirable 2wd postal jeep and a salvaged tuxedo park hood or badges simply added, I'm all in. I even kinda dig the set up

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
24,239 Posts
I'd have to know that it was a fully functional/pristine tuxedo park edition which was castrated and hacked to bits before I'd lay shame on that build.

If it was abandoned parts pieced together, and has the under pinning of an undesirable 2wd postal jeep and a salvaged tuxedo park hood or badges simply added, I'm all in. I even kinda dig the set up

Hoss
I do like some of those hot rodded jeeps also.

Someone build a steampunk CJ here a few years ago but cant find the post anymore.
He did some interesting things on it.

For ugliest, does it have to run?
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1978 Jeep Cj5 OEM AMC 304
602 Posts
Yes- must run.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do like some of those hot rodded jeeps also.

Someone build a steampunk CJ here a few years ago but cant find the post anymore.
He did some interesting things on it.
Imagine building bigfoot on a stock platfor 570 ci blown motor. That would be something. Honestly a drag jeep is a terrible idea. Theres got to be a special place for that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
John, That picture of the CJ Rust Bucket looks almost identical to my 1972 when I got it out of the field. Most can't believe I rebuilt it from the lug nuts up, but was my first time doing it and had a blast. Could never sell it for near what I have into it, so I just drive it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts