Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1979 cj7 360 3 speed sitting on 35x12.50 thornbirds. I just recently bought this ( it belonged to a relative that passed away). It didn’t have a driveshaft in it at the time. Put the driveshaft in with new u-joints and didn’t make I down the driveway. Today I put a new yoke on the rear end. New straps and everything. Broke again.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Musical instrument Automotive wheel system

First time. And today.
Gas Personal protective equipment Wood Artifact Auto part

both times it’s broken one of the tabs that holds the cup in place. Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Time to pop that rear cover, as you have some serious issues with the rear axle.

Can you lock in your front hubs and drive it in 4x4 with front wheels only?

What does the rear axle do when it is just rolling along?

Any noises or indications of trouble with it?

222Doc-
Looks like in the pictures the pinion is pointing up a bit, and my thought the driveline not binding from too much angle?

Reactions: RocksFearMe

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Pics of the TC to rear end, so we can see what kind of angle you are dealing with

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
So in his 1st pic---this is the passenger side----because the emergency brake cable enters from the front of the Jeep.

Things are not tight!

The shim is in backwards! It is tilting the yoke downwards!

The other side is a mess!

Need to fix both sides----install fat side of shim to the front!

Right now, this is the only pic I made where you can SORTA compare his 1st pic with mine (Mirror)

You can see my driver's side spring (But not my shim)

In my pic, if you could see it, my shim is installed with the FAT end towards the front of the Jeep

The pointy, skinny side is facing the rear

This tilts my entire axle, lifting the pinion upward.

Sorry you cannot see the shims in any of my pics

But if you click on my 2nd pic and (arrow over to the 3rd pic) you can see the "Jump"---(Before and After from the same point) you can

see how much my shims tilted the yoke upward. Also compare with the tire on the ground.

My driveshaft was still able to turn fine before, I angled up to keep the stress off of it more.

-------JEEPFELLER
Photograph Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well,

I just figured I'd sling this out there.

Looks like more trouble than it's worth!

I'll give you a hundred bucks as it sits.....

.....I'll be running the exhaust out the back, and sideways behind the rear wheels

My 1st 1977 CJ-5, in 1981 was one of them "I can't hear a darn thing" rigs,

Just like this one-----doing that will save what's left of my ears,

I can talk to the other occupants, and best of all....Hear the radio!

-----JEEPFELLER

·
Registered
263 Posts
View attachment 4155587

Looks like the perch is damaged on the back side and the shim looks like some of it is gone as well.
Yikes. Well..... look at the bright side. After you cut/grind off the damaged perches, you can set the pinion angle when you weld new ones on, and eliminate the need for the shim.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts