Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
121 - 140 of 326 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
7,457 Posts
Good post. It's always great to hear about the latest adventures. I also enjoyed the commentary about your meals.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Hey All,

I have just posted a video of my time in Senegal - which shaped up to be the Africa I have been dreaming of - colorful, friendly people, and street parties!

-Dan

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Just happened upon this thread. All I can say is "Wow!"
This is definitely something I could never do! Or try... or wanna try... :laugh:
Kudos to you... you definitely have a huge pair! lol. Good luck and safe journeys. One question... are you traveling alone?? :surprise:

It's a little late in the thread... and I haven't read much of your articles; just the general build, but I certainly hope you have a plethora of spare parts for a trip like this! I know I would.

I really like the mini fridge! Looks like a nice one and less $$ than an ARB! How do you like it so far? I also like the aluminum tube idea to make the cabinets. Found the tube on Amazon, but having trouble finding what you used to connect them together?

Please take care of yourself and keep up the awesome updates! :cheers2:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Just happened upon this thread. All I can say is "Wow!"
This is definitely something I could never do! Or try... or wanna try... :laugh:
Kudos to you... you definitely have a huge pair! lol. Good luck and safe journeys. One question... are you traveling alone?? :surprise:

It's a little late in the thread... and I haven't read much of your articles; just the general build, but I certainly hope you have a plethora of spare parts for a trip like this! I know I would.

I really like the mini fridge! Looks like a nice one and less $$ than an ARB! How do you like it so far? I also like the aluminum tube idea to make the cabinets. Found the tube on Amazon, but having trouble finding what you used to connect them together?

Please take care of yourself and keep up the awesome updates! :cheers2:
Hey There,

I am traveling alone, which has it's pros and cons

I don't have too many parts with me - only the essentials.

I'm loving the Dometic fridge - with the temperatures here I couldn't imagine not having it.

The connectors for the alu tube are sold by "Faztek" on amazon. There is a link from my site.

Thanks for the kind words and support!

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Grecy:

I was one of the cautionary lot as a former traveler through Africa. Glad to see you're having the adventure that you had hoped and envisioned.

Well prepared and organized that you are ... excellent journals - thanks for sharing and continued enjoyment sir!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Grecy:

I was one of the cautionary lot as a former traveler through Africa. Glad to see you're having the adventure that you had hoped and envisioned.

Well prepared and organized that you are ... excellent journals - thanks for sharing and continued enjoyment sir!
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm curious as to where and when you traveled in Africa that would cause you to be part of the cautionary lot?
I'm meeting all kinds of people that have been to all kinds of places on this continent, and they loved every second.

-Dan

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Foo lives in Oakland... which is prolly much worse than Africa... so I see his concern. :p

All kidding aside... no way I would do such a trip alone. Personally, I prefer the company of friends and fellow wheelers. Again, hope for you all the best. Looks as tho you have a long, long way to go, still. And not to sound like a nay say'er, but I would have stayed in Moab for a year! Most awesome place in North America IMHO! Missed you by about a month, btw. Was there in late April/May. :cool:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Foo lives in Oakland... which is prolly much worse than Africa... so I see his concern. :p

All kidding aside... no way I would do such a trip alone. Personally, I prefer the company of friends and fellow wheelers. Again, hope for you all the best. Looks as tho you have a long, long way to go, still. And not to sound like a nay say'er, but I would have stayed in Moab for a year! Most awesome place in North America IMHO! Missed you by about a month, btw. Was there in late April/May. :cool:
Oh for sure, going alone has pros and cons.

On the pro side, because I have nobody to talk to I am learning French really fast (like Spanish on my AK->Argentina trip) so I can interract with locals a lot more often, learn about their lives and culture, etc.

As for finding someone to go with - imagine you told your friends and family you were saving money to set out to go around Africa for two years - everyone has their career, mortgage, car payments, etc. etc. Do you know a single person that would go with you?
Not many people have this kind of freedom in their lives.

Moab is awesome, though I really enjoy adventures were I learn about new cultures, and get to see things I never would if I stayed in the US/Canada/Australia, etc.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Hey all,

Thanks to my useless timing, it now rains every single day for between 8 and 10 hours.
It's the hardest rain I have ever seen in my life, and is usually acomanied by a massive thunder and lightning storm.
More than a few times the boom of thunder is so close it rattles the Jeep while I am asleep upstairs....

Checkout my pics here: http://theroadchoseme.com/southern-senegal-casamance-2

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I have driven into African country #5, Guinea-Bissau.

Amazingly, the bribery games are identical to my one day crossing of Honduras a few years back.

Read all about it here: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-guinea-bissau

-Dan

·
Corripe Cervisiam
7,457 Posts
I'd love to see more photos of you using the Jeep for daily living purposes.. camping, eating, cooking, drinking, ashing, electronic use, reading, etc.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Hey Jeepers,

I have finally written up an article on the Recovery Gear, Tools and Spares I am carrying for two years around Africa.

Find the article at JPFREEK.COM here: http://jpfreek.com/2016/11/01/recovery-tools-spares-two-years-in-africa/

What would you bring that I don't have?
What would you leave behind?

-Dan
I would not in a million years run a factor 55 product.

they ripped off the original safety thimble and made it suck.

the flatlink and the prolink are idiotic.

they ignored any sort of logical argument as to why they shouldn't have designed their product the way they did.
then they had the audacity to release a product that was a direct copy of the safety thimble.

I would carry a handful of soft-shackles and a handful of standard crosby shackles as well as a few 10-12' lengths of extra winchline with thimbles spliced on the ends to use for anchor points on trees, etc.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
No mention of a trunk money or bottle jack. IMO those high lift jacks are sketchy at best for anything tire related (short of breaking a bead) on a flat surface yet alone on a trail. Get a telescoping bottle jack and a block of wood. 10x safer and takes up less space

My ding-a-ling friend above already mentioned tree straps and much of anything else I'd carry. Snatch blocks are real handy too. I carry one and have used it on occasion, mostly just to move trees around the yard though. But very handy to say the least. Highly advise carrying one

121 - 140 of 326 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.