Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 326 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey All,

The build is progressing, we're pushing hard now to make SEMA.

I installed an AEV Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier and Hi-Lift Mount.

Then I put a Hi Lift Extreme and a set of MAXTRAX on that mount :)

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That engine looks like it's right at home in there. Inline 6 too!
It sure does. No surprisingly, we had to get creative to find the length for the inline 6.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi All,

Making lots of progress on the build, the Mercedes Diesel swap is really coming together now.

Length has been as issue - Ron from North West Diesel Offroad moved the radiator forward a little:

Intercooler mounted up front:

3 Inch exhaust all the way from turbo outlet to muffler in the rear:

AutoMeter Sport Comp II gauges are a perfect match the for stock gauges:

I've been working on the engine itself, doing maintenance items like water pump, thermostat, oil pump, etc. etc.

We test-fit the AEV Front Premium Bumper and Warn Zeon 10-S winch

Ron from North West Diesel Offroad has amazing fabrication skills, this project is well beyond my abilities as a backyard mechanic.

Tons more pics, details and story on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jk-mercedes-diesel-conversion-progress

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey everyone,

The Diesel conversion in my Jeep has been an enormous amount of work, unfortunately the Jeep wasn't ready for SEMA.
Maybe I'll make it in sometime the future.

Things are coming together really well, I absolutely can not wait to drive my Jeep.

All the details on the Mercedes Diesel conversion and a ton of new photos are now in today's issue of the FREE JPFreek Adventure Magazine

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Everyone,

Here's a curve ball for the plan - the Mercedes Diesel engine sucked leaking diesel and ranaway, revving at 7k for 5-10 seconds. Scary stuff indeed.
We're pretty sure valves met pistons, and the engine is dead.

After all of this, with all of the money and time invested, I've decided to sell the Jeep and cut my losses.

For sale thread here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153...l-engine-damage-15k-obo-3579714/#post33572810

I'm fighting hard to still get myself and a Jeep Wrangler to Africa.
More to come on that front soon.

Always an adventure, even when unplanned!

-Dan

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Well, look at the bright side, you've got more time before you're killed by African warlords.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've had a challenging few months, and I'm more than overdue to give you all an update.

All the details of what happened and the path forward to Africa are in today's issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine

I feel extremely lucky to be supported by new friends and family, without their support I don't think I would have found a way forward.

Tons of details in the coming days and weeks,

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks everyone.

Here's another pic, I really loved this spot, and it's the last night I'll ever ground tent with this Jeep :)

http://instagr.am/p/BC9qRJOlBJA/
-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I spent a few days in San Diego hanging out with John and the crew at Ursa Minor while the fitted and modified my J30.

Read the whole story here: http://theroadchoseme.com/ursa-minor-j30-pop-up-camper

To say that I'm extremely impressed and happy is a massive understatement.
This top is a complete game changer.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The Jeep Build is complete, I'm ready for EJS then Africa.

Details include Renogy lightweight solar panels and charge conroller, ARB awning & compressor, new wheels, and some decals.

http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-complete

-Dan

·
Registered
447 Posts
Looking good! Reading up on your progress and am impressed with the effort sir.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I ran part of Hells Revenge yesterday, it was unreal.

I went into the Escalator, did trail work with great people from Tread Lightly then turned around and came back out.
I was told my Jeep would have gone right through, doing all the drive arounds obviously.

AEV 2.5", stock Rubicon 32" tires, jeep didn't scrape once.

I'm extremely happy to have gotten the Rubicon now, the crawl speed of low range 1st gear is impressive.

-Dan

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dan, happy to hear you're moving forward again. Best of luck to you, the Jeep, and Sid!

21 - 40 of 326 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.