Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mentioned about my Boss buying the CJ5 and how she has allowed me to spend within reason what it has taken to get it to the point it is now. Her brother passed and left her a POS 88 'Vette. That was the windfall we used to get started on the Jeep. We are retired and have been empty nesters for 18 years now. We are not extravagant. Our needs are simple. We enjoy doing things together.

When she first bought the Jeep it was in sad shape. The engine was bad. The windshield frame was rusted from left to right. Non CJ but Jeep highbacked seats were broken. It had no top or doors. The front suspension was shot and one front spring--a later discovery--was broken. I ordered an engine and while I waited for delivery and for installation I ordered a windshield frame, Bestop bikini top, half doors, and low back seats. My mechanic cleared all his customer's cars out before going on vacation and agreed to put the engine in the CJ upon his return. I had the windshield swapped and put in the new seats while waiting. After getting the CJ out of his shop I bought new 31s. Then I discovered the suspension problems and had them fixed. Reworked the brakes myself, and had a fairly dependable and extremely safe CJ5. It just looked and still looks like crap. The next spring I cut out the rust spots and bought a sheet of diamond plate to cover up the rust spots I had removed. Then I gave it a Tractor Supply paint job and put on the diamond plate. The following Christmas we gave each other fenders which I painted one warm day and put on. It has looked much this way since.

Last fall my neighbor remarked that every time I "Get on it!" going out the street when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear the tub rises up in the rear on the passenger side. The Boss asked what's causing that? So I explained that without looking I'd make an educated guess that the rusty mounting point is no longer is there. And can you fix this? It will take a new tub I told her and we moved the conversation to the house where we visited The Shell Valley website.

Fast forward to Christmas... Each year we give each other season tickets to my alma mater's baseball games. It is something we both enjoy and the games are close by. We've been known to drive a CJ5 to nice sunny afternoon games. This year she told me that she was giving me a new fiberglass tub for the CJ. I had to order it and I have to pay for it--still trying to figure that out. It won't be ready until June so instead of having it shipped here we are going after it. 40 years ago thanks to Uncle Sam we lived in Omaha for three winters. We still have friends there and we plan on going to the College World Series for a couple of games. I am borrowing a flatbed pickup to bring it back.

Now that the acquisition plan is in motion I need to work on the installation plan. I have asked a friend's brother who has been doing classic car restorations, but is semi retired now to help me put the body on. He has yet to commit. I have an event on April 9 I am working on so I'll wait until after then to start tearing it down. We have beach trip planned in early May that normally I'd tow it to. High gas prices may prohibit that. If on April 11 I start I won't be tempted to take the old version to the beach.

My goal is to have it ready to drive in the end of September when we have the second Jeep Explosion. Last year we attracted over 400 Jeeps of various years 1946-2022 and lineages CJ2 to those soccer mom jeeps with two too many door openings, and one 1997 ZJ that I had to drive the boss because of an ear problem. I've promised myself that the CJ will be running, but may still be in gel coat.

What I am going to ask here is opinions and how should I prepare, get this, work around this, etc.
I've already chatted here with Chowlie about shift knobs.

What I need to do first is decide what color to paint it. My alma mater's colors are orange and purple and the mascot is a tiger. I've thought about an orange body with purple stripes. The soldier in me likes green so I might go with black camouflage stripes on a green body. Yes I know how to paint tiger stripes. I'll do some samples and post pictures.

To answer another question the frame is sound. Unboxed frames don't hold the bad stuff in like boxed frames.

Bob over until the next question arises.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Hello,
I am just finishing up a Shell Valley install you can see my truncated build here 76 CJ5 build (copy and paste into your browser) but I can probably answer anything technical you might need as I've done two of these. It's not a bad install but at different points you have different options. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Sorry my thread isn't more "all inclusive " as you read it you'll see I had some setbacks with illness but I'm here to stay and fine now.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
I am just finishing up a Shell Valley install you can see my truncated build here 76 CJ5 build (copy and paste into your browser) but I can probably answer anything technical you might need as I've done two of these. It's not a bad install but at different points you have different options. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Sorry my thread isn't more "all inclusive " as you read it you'll see I had some setbacks with illness but I'm here to stay and fine now.
Thanks I just bookmarked your thread along with DougE's which I read through last night. I probably won't need any help with the "destruction" as I'm fairly adept at that. I definitely will take you up on the offer for advice.

Bob

·
Registered
949 Posts
How's the wiring? Good time to rewire if it's all muffed up.

Along those same lines I like to put in power and ground bus bars on the firewall behind dash. Also on glass bodies I put a ground bar in the rear up by the tail lights,, and run a dedicated ground wire from that to a rear frame rail or better yet all the way back to battery.

You'll have to at minimum run a ground from dash for all the lights and instruments.

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! You bring up a good point and make an excellent suggestion. That is one thing I won't have to worry with.

I rewired it about 6 years ago and muffed up was not how I described it. Then 2 years ago the clutch linkage imploded including the clutch pedal return spring which took out a lot of behind the dash wiring. After several attempts to fix it all I just rewired it for a second time. During the first rewire I ran dedicated grounds to everything and added ground buses under the hood and under the dash. I didn't put a buss in the rear but did daisy chain the grounds to the lights. I do intend to clean them up. I may put a ground bus for the rear lights because I plan on adding a couple of new lights and change the taillights. I have several dash lights not working now that I intend to fix while I have everything apart. They aren't working because of bad grounds.

Bob Over

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your now 5 posts in and no pictures?
Nothing to take pictures of. I don't plan to tear it down until next month and I don't get the new tub until June. I drove it in its present state today as I plan to tomorrow.

Let's say I'm gathering intell and beginning the planning stage now.

Bob Over

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Those are some cool vehicles. If you do re-wire I used the painless harness for fiberglass bodies and it made it sooooo much easier and I'm an electrical engineer so I know what a fight that can be

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Years ago when I was stationed at Port Angeles, the Swimmer Chief, bought a rust bucket CJ-5 from another Chief that had just transferred in from Sitka AK. He put a fiberglass tub on it himself, working on it after work and on the weekends out at the AIRSTA. When he was done, he rolled it into the paint shop and sprayed it with insignia red polyurethane. It’s been a long time, but I don’t think it took him more than a couple weeks to transform a rust bucket into a nice rig, maybe a month at the longest.

As far as paint schemes goes, I like the Tiger stripe idea.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last night JEEPFELLER and I had another midnight chow meeting of the Breakfast Club and now fellow member AX has shown up for coffee. Both have posted pictures. I just have one question for the both of you--what the heck have y'all been smoking.

Those are some cool vehicles. If you do re-wire I used the painless harness for fiberglass bodies and it made it sooooo much easier and I'm an electrical engineer so I know what a fight that can be
In anticipation of future use of a FG tub and the fact that rust makes lousy grounds the first time I rewired I ran dedicated ground wires to almost everything. In the years since I've found several I missed and I'm sure I'll find more during this project. I used the Speedway Motors 12 circuit generic harness because there is no specific harness for a 74 and it was a third the price of a Painless.

I may take you up on the body mount bolts later on. I ordered the SV mount kit so I don't know what I'll need for a while.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and even the pictures.

Bob Over

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to JF's and Ax's helpful suggestions on paint schemes and doing some Google image research I'm going to forgo the orange tiger stripe paint schemes. I am still considering a subtle black stripes on green camouflage scheme. I had a uniform like that many years ago on a distant planet in a land far, far away.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think I'm missing something. If the rear mounts were bad on the frame, why buy a Tub? If mounting pulled thru on steel tub why not just weld up what is needed. I'd the tub I'd fiberglass just glass in a patch. If you get this new fiberglass tub I'd it double walled or a drag race tub? I'm not familiar with the name brand you mentioned. You will want to hold on to the original tub for measuring the Heater and foot pedal locations. You will probably need a bit of body lift for the bellhousing to clear the tub. Add extra wire to harness for the rear tail light grounding. Another wire from Ground to Dashboard.
Will steel hood and fenders work well with fiberglass tub? Sometimes steel hood and glass body lines are different.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the impute.

When I start the tear down in a few weeks I'll post pictures of the patches that POs and I have made over the years. It has come to the point where there is nothing left to patch to.

The old tub is going to be sitting side by side the new when i start swapping from old to new. I also have others here who have experienced what I soon will.

As for the wiring If you read carefully above, you'll see I'm on top of that. I plan on making changes and I know there will be unplanned changes.

I'm planning on using the present fenders, hood, and grill.

Jeep CJ5 Fiberglass Body Tub 1972 thru 1975 (shellvalley.com)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have mentioned about my Boss buying the CJ5 and how she has allowed me to spend within reason what it has taken to get it to the point it is now. Her brother passed and left her a POS 88 'Vette. That was the windfall we used to get started on the Jeep. We are retired and have been empty nesters for 18 years now. We are not extravagant. Our needs are simple. We enjoy doing things together.

When she first bought the Jeep it was in sad shape. The engine was bad. The windshield frame was rusted from left to right. Non CJ but Jeep highbacked seats were broken. It had no top or doors. The front suspension was shot and one front spring--a later discovery--was broken. I ordered an engine and while I waited for delivery and for installation I ordered a windshield frame, Bestop bikini top, half doors, and low back seats. My mechanic cleared all his customer's cars out before going on vacation and agreed to put the engine in the CJ upon his return. I had the windshield swapped and put in the new seats while waiting. After getting the CJ out of his shop I bought new 31s. Then I discovered the suspension problems and had them fixed. Reworked the brakes myself, and had a fairly dependable and extremely safe CJ5. It just looked and still looks like crap. The next spring I cut out the rust spots and bought a sheet of diamond plate to cover up the rust spots I had removed. Then I gave it a Tractor Supply paint job and put on the diamond plate. The following Christmas we gave each other fenders which I painted one warm day and put on. It has looked much this way since.

Last fall my neighbor remarked that every time I "Get on it!" going out the street when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear the tub rises up in the rear on the passenger side. The Boss asked what's causing that? So I explained that without looking I'd make an educated guess that the rusty mounting point is no longer is there. And can you fix this? It will take a new tub I told her and we moved the conversation to the house where we visited The Shell Valley website.

Fast forward to Christmas... Each year we give each other season tickets to my alma mater's baseball games. It is something we both enjoy and the games are close by. We've been known to drive a CJ5 to nice sunny afternoon games. This year she told me that she was giving me a new fiberglass tub for the CJ. I had to order it and I have to pay for it--still trying to figure that out. It won't be ready until June so instead of having it shipped here we are going after it. 40 years ago thanks to Uncle Sam we lived in Omaha for three winters. We still have friends there and we plan on going to the College World Series for a couple of games. I am borrowing a flatbed pickup to bring it back.

Now that the acquisition plan is in motion I need to work on the installation plan. I have asked a friend's brother who has been doing classic car restorations, but is semi retired now to help me put the body on. He has yet to commit. I have an event on April 9 I am working on so I'll wait until after then to start tearing it down. We have beach trip planned in early May that normally I'd tow it to. High gas prices may prohibit that. If on April 11 I start I won't be tempted to take the old version to the beach.

My goal is to have it ready to drive in the end of September when we have the second Jeep Explosion. Last year we attracted over 400 Jeeps of various years 1946-2022 and lineages CJ2 to those soccer mom jeeps with two too many door openings, and one 1997 ZJ that I had to drive the boss because of an ear problem. I've promised myself that the CJ will be running, but may still be in gel coat.

What I am going to ask here is opinions and how should I prepare, get this, work around this, etc.
I've already chatted here with Chowlie about shift knobs.

What I need to do first is decide what color to paint it. My alma mater's colors are orange and purple and the mascot is a tiger. I've thought about an orange body with purple stripes. The soldier in me likes green so I might go with black camouflage stripes on a green body. Yes I know how to paint tiger stripes. I'll do some samples and post pictures.

To answer another question the frame is sound. Unboxed frames don't hold the bad stuff in like boxed frames.

Bob over until the next question arises.
I went to Nebraska and picked up my CJ5 body two years ago. Very high quality and worth the money. Put it on DJ5 for around town car.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I was putting my jeep back together I wanted nothing to do with a wiring harness. For such a simple vehicle I preferred custom wiring using standard fuse and terminal blocks. I have no key just a push button start requiring another switch for ignition and another for electric fuel pump.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Circuit component Rectangle Automotive lighting Font

Product Eyelash Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font

1 - 20 of 67 Posts