Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2001 Wrangler TJ with serious frame corrosion. I’m not handy with major repairs so to there’s not much more I can do with it. The skid plate is holding on to the frame by only one side, meaning 3 bolts. So the transfer case is sagging a little. Of course I’m nuts driving it in this condition, as gentle as I am with it, but I don’t have an alternative just yet. Sometime soon I will sell it for parts.

But to get to my question: are any reasonably inexpensive ways to stretch out the life of this vehicle, even by just the few months I need to save for another vehicle, by at least stopping the above skid plate situation from getting worse, as in, quick-and-dirty emergency repair? For example, I saw on some forum that someone had used a chain to hold up the skid plate, but I’m not knowledgeable enough to know how to do this correctly and safely. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I've seen pictures of c-clamps used to hold up a side of the skid plate in a situation similar to yours. I can neither recommend nor condone this reckless behavior, however.

Another thing that has been done (which I may actually recommend) is if you have enough "good" frame left, just weld the skid plate to the frame. Since you're just selling it for parts in a few months anyway, you're not losing anything by making the skid not removable.

If your frame is that bad, though, you really shouldn't be driving it at all.

· Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,508 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to do this correctly and safely. Any ideas?
If it's too far gone to weld, don't drive it. I had one that the PO welded to the frame and I sold it within a month.

· Registered
125 Posts
Look into heli-coils, big bolts & nuts.. anything but drive it like that my friend. You're risking the vehicle next to yours. More importantly, any pedestrians near your rig. Fix it or park it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,508 Posts
Look into heli-coils, big bolts & nuts.. anything but drive it like that my friend. You're risking the vehicle next to yours. More importantly, any pedestrians near your rig. Fix it or park it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Meh.

· Registered
8,060 Posts

· Registered
886 Posts
Normally, I would not recommend any of this for safety reasons, but I understand when desperate times call for desperate measures.
Assuming the rot is mostly along the bottom, you could run long bolts (or thread all) up through the frame with nuts on top. You'll need a long drill bit. Or, find a local welding shop and have them weld a piece of angle iron (12" of 4" angle iron) to the outside of frame and under the skid.

· I miss the snow...
5,684 Posts
So the frame is bad enough that the nutserts have broken loose, but right next to that there will be frame solid enough to attach to? :confused:
Depends on how long the bolt is.....(think about it) :wink2:

OP - there is no easy solution to this problem. As was stated above, don't drive it. The other side of the frame is rusted out just as badly as the side that came loose, and is likely about to come apart as well. If your plan is to part the jeep out, it may be time to do just that.

Jeff

· Premium Member
26,505 Posts
Broken nutserts don't necessarily mean there isn't any frame left...

If you really wanted, you could drill through to the topside of the frame and use a longer bolt.
Every nutsert on one side out doesn't suggest a strong frame.

I'm tempted to just shut this thread as this is an unsafe situation IMO and I don't think any of us should be doing anything but encouraging OP to park his jeep.

· Premium Member
6,774 Posts
you are ALL speculating what he should do.

Without the OP posting really clear and concise photos of said rust , nobody should be commenting on what he should be doing.
Based on the following description directly from the OP, I don't think anybody is wrong to suggest not driving this vehicle any farther than required to either fix it properly or part it out.

The skid plate is holding on to the frame by only one side, meaning 3 bolts.

· Registered
151 Posts
Normally, I would not recommend any of this for safety reasons, but I understand when desperate times call for desperate measures.
Assuming the rot is mostly along the bottom, you could run long bolts (or thread all) up through the frame with nuts on top. You'll need a long drill bit. Or, find a local welding shop and have them weld a piece of angle iron (12" of 4" angle iron) to the outside of frame and under the skid.
I was thinking of putting angle on the inside top of the frame (body mounts are on the outside). Clamp the angle in place, drill up from the bottom and run longer bolts with nuts on the top of the angle to distribute any load. If that breaks, take what is left to the scraper.

· I miss the snow...
5,684 Posts
you are ALL speculating what he should do.

Without the OP posting really clear and concise photos of said rust , nobody should be commenting on what he should be doing.
I disagree. We are reacting to his description - which is all we have to go on. And from his description, I think it's pretty clear what is happening. I also think we all agree that it is not safe, and should certainly not be driven as is.

· Registered
2,247 Posts
I disagree. We are reacting to his description - which is all we have to go on. And from his description, I think it's pretty clear what is happening. I also think we all agree that it is not safe, and should certainly not be driven as is.
I should have worded it better... Meant to say ALL that are recommending FIXES should wait for pictures.

I agree as well if the Tcase skid is hanging to NOT drive it.

:smile2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.