Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

transmission power or comfort switch 89 xj

6368 15
Hi, yes been told that I must have the power mode switched on for the transmission, but what function does this provide please and how does it affect the transmission, power or comfort, what happens when I switch either on?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Changes the shift points of the trans. Nothing special

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
In comfort mode it softens the shifts by using less pressure to shift . This will cause premature transmission failure .

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
In comfort mode it softens the shifts by using less pressure to shift . This will cause premature transmission failure .
Pressure is controlled by the TV cable. No problems with premature trans failure on one of the best, if not THE best automatic transmissions ever developed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yes the power light comes on on the switch, when switched on, not sure I notice any difference up and down gears or kick down. Pretty fed up with modern cars pulling out of side roads in front of me on 50 mph roads I use, just seems easier to overtake than brake where possible.

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
Thanks, yes the power light comes on on the switch, when switched on, not sure I notice any difference up and down gears or kick down. Pretty fed up with modern cars pulling out of side roads in front of me on 50 mph roads I use, just seems easier to overtake than brake where possible.
The switch could be bad inside. Here's what I do:

Bypassing the Power/Comfort Switch on a Renix Jeep

Remove and unplug the switch. In the harness are 3 wires One has a stripe, one is tan, and the other black. Make a 4" jumper wire with a male spade at each end. Plug one end in the cavity for the tan wire and the other in the cavity for the striped wire and you'll be in permanent Power mode. Stuff the harness back in and reinstall the switch for looks.

If you happen to have a 91 or 92 XJ/MJ and it has the Power/Comfort switch, just jumper the Tan and Blue wires in the harness plug.

NEVER include the black wire when jumpering!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The switch could be bad inside. Here's what I do:

Bypassing the Power/Comfort Switch on a Renix Jeep

Remove and unplug the switch. In the harness are 3 wires One has a stripe, one is tan, and the other black. Make a 4" jumper wire with a male spade at each end. Plug one end in the cavity for the tan wire and the other in the cavity for the striped wire and you'll be in permanent Power mode. Stuff the harness back in and reinstall the switch for looks.

If you happen to have a 91 or 92 XJ/MJ and it has the Power/Comfort switch, just jumper the Tan and Blue wires in the harness plug.

NEVER include the black wire when jumpering!!!
Thanks I will have ago at making, the jummper wire looks heavy duty voltage where could I obtain wire same spec?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not to hack this thread but I am having problems with shifting. It acts like no vacuum mod. on the old C6 transmissions. Unless I manually shift it goes up so quick I have no power. I found the vacuum line disconnected and still working that part but could this failed switch also cause some of it? Still figuring out how this thing shifts.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not to hack this thread but I am having problems with shifting. It acts like no vacuum mod. on the old C6 transmissions. Unless I manually shift it goes up so quick I have no power. I found the vacuum line disconnected and still working that part but could this failed switch also cause some of it? Still figuring out how this thing shifts.
It doesn't need vacuum to shift. Start a new thread to get more help. Or search .

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
Which vacuum line? This tranny relies on NO vacuum input for shifting. Only the TPS and Power/Comfort switch. The harshness or firmness of shifts is regulated by the tV cable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.