Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway.. I was on the last leg of my vacation coming home and was entering the mountains in South Carolina. I guess it was maybe a 4-5 mile long 6% grade and I was going the speed limit (70) and had the ac on (like 90* outside). I noticed that there was a bit o smoke behind me (quite a bit actually), and I figured out it was from me. I looked at my temp guage and it was high but not very, not to the red yet.. so I flipped my scanguage over to show water temp and it was 250*... not good.

I slowed down and stopped at the first exit. By then it had stopped smoking and cooled a little, about 240. Popped the hood and it looked ok at a glace. Underneath the tranny, tc, tc crossmember were all coverd in oil, with a little dripping from the engine area. I deduced the smoke was from it burning off the exahust pipe. Checked the oil and tranny fluid levels, both were normal. Noticed the overflow bottle on cooling system was overflowing a little out the hole. Turned the engine on too cool it off (residual heat when stopped overheated the water) and it settled ok.

I assume that because of where it looked like the fluid came from, the stress and heat overheated the engine a little and then the tranny couldnt cool enough, and overflowed out the dipstick... Does that seem probable?

I bought some oil ATF and a gallon of water jic, and headed on.. more carefully this time, and using 3rd instead of overdrive on the steep hills. I drove the 450 remaining miles with little incedent. maxed the temp at 235 briefly on a hill but stayed 220-225 in the mountains, and 207 once back in cooler weather and relative flatness of KY.

OK so my questions are: Does anything seem like it could have been damaged? I was already considering a ATF cooler, and now i intend on it; which should I get, and where should I mount it? Anything I have to worry about it if I spray the undercarrige down to clean it (i ran into 4hrs of heavy rain, but It might still be dirty).

After my 2000+ mile trip, I need an oil change too, so it looks like a full maintinace is in order. I will check the fluid levels in the morning once my engine has cooled also.

FYI, I only have like 200$ and I already had some plans for it... s10 packs and some other stuff.. so the cheaper the better.

·
Premium Member
14,195 Posts
The tranny cooler will be fairly cheap, and good insurance. I would also change the oil and tranny fluid. But you most likely didn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i had the problem you had, i was coming back from camping and wheeling and next thing i know my tranny overheated on the way back, that's why this week i'm installing a tranny cooler, temp gauge and doing a tranny fluid flush. just figure i should

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a $40 tranny cooler from pepboys, and I just washed my jeep, and am working the the mis-spaced lettering probem on the front (another thread).. anyway when the engine area has cooled enough that I feel comfortable working on it, I will attempt to install the cooler. I guess It mounts infront of the radiator/ac thing, and it should be simple right? Goes inline from the return line from the radiator right, thats the bottom one? I guess I will search for a guide on here. The grille should be simple to remove right?
Thanks.

oh... With a cooler do you need to add more atf, because the systems capacity should have changed? I havn't opened the box to see if there are any instructions yet, I am just cooling off for a bit inside and so I thought i could ask.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I got the cooler mounted and stuff, but I havn't hooked it up yet, I think I will get someone else to help, or find somebody that knows what they are doing. I also think I need an adapter kit for my jeep, as the instructions mentioned one for 1987+ jeeps.
It was really hot, for me atleast. I don't work well in 90* heat. I had a fan on me and no shirt, still dumping sweat.

What came in the box (I had already started before I took the picture, and the hose loops so that You don't cut until it is in place so you have enough)

Grille Removed:

In position, I figured in front of the electric fan was as good as anyplace.

Clamp thingys, I had to trim them a bit more to get the fan back in.

Together again.

The hoses are sitting next to the air intake right now. Sometime this week I will do it all. (the Logo is missing because I havn't put the new one on yet.. thats another thread)

·
Registered
268 Posts
i would think it'd be better closer to the primary fan? so it constantly is cooling? i could be wrong but wouldn't that be a better place for it?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
He has it in the stock position. It is cooled pretty well because it is the first thing the air hits.

·
Registered
268 Posts
well when your off road and not moving much wouldn't it be better towards the other side?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Maybe, but I doubt the OP goes wheeling. Anyone serious into wheeling should have a switch to kick the e-fan on and off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
hhhmmmm well maybe i should do that, i'll look for a thread on wiring it up, can't be too hard i'd imagine

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
I believe on the 99-01's the PCM will just ground the fan to engage it, so you'd simply have to rig a relay to ground the fan when you hit a switch.

·
Registered
268 Posts
yeah that sounds like the smart way to do it. i know you can hook it up to run constant off the battery, because i did it to test the fan, so i guess just putting a switch on after hooking it to the positive battery and a ground is the same thing?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i wouldnt hook it up to the positive on the battery, i would just use a switch and relay to activate a ground and leave the factory set up 100% together that way it would also kick on automatically by the computer. Is there some reason this wouldnt work?

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
yeah that sounds like the smart way to do it. i know you can hook it up to run constant off the battery, because i did it to test the fan, so i guess just putting a switch on after hooking it to the positive battery and a ground is the same thing?
If the fan engages by being grounded, then hooking it permanently to ground would simply run the fan full time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
yeah i know. i just was thinking out loud? haha sorry

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
There is a mountain here in Utah that every time I go on i smoke a little. its a hefty grade 8% or even 9% for a few miles and at the end i smoke a little. I think oil comes out of the valve cover at the cap. I recently replaced my valve cover gasket and while I had it off I cleaned the cover and painted it. you can see oil stains around the cap on the new paint from where it would have came out and I wipe it off every once and a while and the rag shows some oil on it.

You also may have a leaky valve cover so when pointed at that angle and having your foot on the gas causing a higher oil pressure you may have leaked out the valve cover....

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a mountain here in Utah that every time I go on i smoke a little. its a hefty grade 8% or even 9% for a few miles and at the end i smoke a little. I think oil comes out of the valve cover at the cap. I recently replaced my valve cover gasket and while I had it off I cleaned the cover and painted it. you can see oil stains around the cap on the new paint from where it would have came out and I wipe it off every once and a while and the rag shows some oil on it.

You also may have a leaky valve cover so when pointed at that angle and having your foot on the gas causing a higher oil pressure you may have leaked out the valve cover....
Good idea, but the fluid distribution doesn't support that. Besides I have recently replaced the valve cover gasket, so it shouldn't be leaking.

About the location and the fan. In the summer I drive with the ac on pretty much all the time, and the electric fan runs pretty much all the time, so I imagine it gets good airflow. I have thought about rigging it so I could switch it on if I was towing or somehting to make sure, but I would think If the tranny was heating up to need extra cooling, the engine would probably be running warm enough to turn the fan on.

I do however need a new mech fan shroud. After I had a new water pump put in the shroud magically disappeared. I noticed it quite a bit after it happened though, so It was too late to complain to the mechanic.

About me wheeling, I mostly a camper and such, but I would love to get into wheeling, I just need someone to do it with. Stuff is more fun with other people. Clubs cost money though.

Oh, is the top line on the rad the return line on an '01 (tranny, not coolant), I thought it was the bottom, but I read somewhere it might be the top.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I mounted mine on the opposite side. I figured this would let the trans have a more constant temp since air is drawn over it all the time. I've checked the trans pan temps in hot weather with an infrared temp reader and it runs from 145 to 160 whenever I've checked it. Phil

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could measure it, but its storming like a MoFo on crack right now. Does anyone know what the OD of the transmission return line from the radiator is? The metal part right by the radiator, not the hose part.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i think i read the OD of the metal tube is 5/16"? not positive though

1 - 20 of 45 Posts