Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man has anyone replaced these suckers.. what a freakin pain.. quick disconnect my arse... i spent 5 hours trying to get those things disconnected and several different disconnect tools.. ended up cutting them with a dremel near the radiator and accidentally cut the metal tube going into the auxilliary cooler.. lol.. what a nightmare

if anyone is looking for an auxilliary cooler.. there is one at the local junkyard.. in great shape... let me know

darrell
house

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm waiting on my replacement lines and fittings from UPS, they are leaking bad, I went ahead and ordered them from Kolak....so I'll be getting into that this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good, so it is not just mine that leak.
I always seem to have a nice little stained puddle under my Jeep in my parking space at work.
That sucks that they are a pain in the *** to replace because I was planning on doing mine as soon as the temp warms up a bit.
Do you have to drain your system, or do they only drain what is left in the lines?

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK I'm also going to have to do this, and right now the Jeep is up on a lift waiting for a fuel pump so it's a good time.
I called the Jeep dealer, they will only sell the entire line as a replacement - $86 and $47
Couldn't one simply cut the rubber parts and fittings away and replace it with a section of high-pressure rubber hose and a couple good clamps on each side ?

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
nbjly said:
OK I'm also going to have to do this, and right now the Jeep is up on a lift waiting for a fuel pump so it's a good time.
I called the Jeep dealer, they will only sell the entire line as a replacement - $86 and $47
Couldn't one simply cut the rubber parts and fittings away and replace it with a section of high-pressure rubber hose and a couple good clamps on each side ?
That's what I'll be doing. Cutting and flaring the hardlines, and connecting with transmission hose and clamps.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
they disconnected after banging my head on the underside of the Jeep for quite a while.

Then we realized the part where one of the other lines plugs in on the transmission end was broken off :(

didn't even get to wrestle with trying to route them back to the front of the vehicle. That doesn't look like a fun task at all.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mine leak and it's on my short list to replace them. Glad to know I have a monumental task ahead of me. How much were the parts from Kolak.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I just picked mine up from a junkyard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
five.two said:
That's what I'll be doing. Cutting and flaring the hardlines, and connecting with transmission hose and clamps.
Let us know how it turns out, maybe specifics on the hose size. etc

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
nbjly said:
Let us know how it turns out, maybe specifics on the hose size. etc
Already have done it on the hardlines that attach to the radiator when I redid the aux cooler. This time I will be cutting and flaring the hardlines coming from the tranny where they mate to the OEM rubber hoses. I used two hose clamps behind each flared end. Never had a leak. You can get the 3/8" tranny hose at Autozone. It is rated to 250psi I think. The hose is marked 'Transmission Hose'. Hard to miss it. :laugh: You can also get the flaring kit at Autozone, but I don't recommend that. Last, you'll need a small tubing cutter for the hardlines. Got mine at Lowe's. So to sum up what you need:

a bunch of the little hose clamps, 2 at each connection
3/8" transmission hose, 10 ft should be more than enough
flaring tool
tubing cutter

·
Registered
66 Posts
CrawfishStu said:
How much were the parts from Kolak.
The little rubber elbows for the cooler are $9.00 for the pair.

The pressure tube to the cooler is $25.00.

The return tube is $8.00.

Shipping would be $8.00 so the total is $50.00. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
^ If you're going to go through all that trouble to replace them, would it be worthwhile to also put a new and larger tranny cooler in???

·
Registered
66 Posts
ZJ Limited said:
^ If you're going to go through all that trouble to replace them, would it be worthwhile to also put a new and larger tranny cooler in???
That's on my future to do list also, but funds are a little low do to my header purchase and some other important purchases. Plus mine is in good working condition as of now....so it can wait.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Okay, that makes sense! :)

Just to be curious, what kind cooler would you put in? I ask because my lines are leaking as well (at the cooler and at the connection right next to the oil pan). I've got a 94 ZJ 4.0 with 185k miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deported said:
The little rubber elbows for the cooler are $9.00 for the pair.

The pressure tube to the cooler is $25.00.

The return tube is $8.00.

Shipping would be $8.00 so the total is $50.00. :thumbsup:
it sounds like you are replacing the auxillary cooling lines.. i am replacing the lines from the radiator back to the transmission... there is no way the lines you bought are the same ones... if so you got an awesome deal..... because together they are like 120 dollars from teh stealer and around 70 at autozone...

i think it would be a good idea to do the transmission line pressure hose swap.. just make sure you do flare the lines.. me and my dad.. did it generically (we just tried to hose clamp a peice of rubber up there instead of flaring the line.. ) it popped off and shot about a quart of tranny fluid everywhere....

grrr.. well tommorrow.. i am going to attempt to put these back on.. i foresee myself going to find a zj and lying under it and taking pictures in order to remember how to thread these things back to the tranny.. ugghh..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
housedl said:
it sounds like you are replacing the auxillary cooling lines.. i am replacing the lines from the radiator back to the transmission... there is no way the lines you bought are the same ones... if so you got an awesome deal..... because together they are like 120 dollars from teh stealer and around 70 at autozone...

i think it would be a good idea to do the transmission line pressure hose swap.. just make sure you do flare the lines.. me and my dad.. did it generically (we just tried to hose clamp a peice of rubber up there instead of flaring the line.. ) it popped off and shot about a quart of tranny fluid everywhere....

grrr.. well tommorrow.. i am going to attempt to put these back on.. i foresee myself going to find a zj and lying under it and taking pictures in order to remember how to thread these things back to the tranny.. ugghh..
update..

just about got them back together... it wasnt that bad threading them back through there... damn disconnects are not only a pain in the *** to disconnect but also a pain to connect... should have done the flare line hose clamp replacement.. instead of messing with them as much as i have... too many hours.. and the major leak is in the the transmission/transfer seals themselves....

not looking forward to that...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
housedl said:
quick disconnect my arse... i spent 5 hours trying to get those things disconnected and several different disconnect tools..
Technically speaking, the factory service manual calls it a "quick connect" and not a "quick disconnect." It is a subtle difference, but it is correct. If you have the right tool, then it probably will disconnect quickly.

I just spent about an hour and a half disconnecting the line from the radiator today. My radiator died yesterday. I use wrenches to separate the lines further back. I then removed the radiator with the line attached. That allowed me to work on the disconnect out in the driveway. I found that jamming four small plastic pieces (from a disconnect tool that I destroyed for this project) down over the four tabs allowed me to pull the line off of the radiator. I distorted one of the tabs in removal, but it looks like it will go back on just fine.

Actaully, you can possibly destroy all of the tabs inside to get it off, and then buy a new tab insert when you want to put it back on. I am not sure if DC will sell you just the tabs or not, but they should. That little ring with the tabs comes right out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Technically speaking, the factory service manual calls it a "quick connect" and not a "quick disconnect." It is a subtle difference, but it is correct. If you have the right tool, then it probably will disconnect quickly.

I just spent about an hour and a half disconnecting the line from the radiator today. My radiator died yesterday. I use wrenches to separate the lines further back. I then removed the radiator with the line attached. That allowed me to work on the disconnect out in the driveway. I found that jamming four small plastic pieces (from a disconnect tool that I destroyed for this project) down over the four tabs allowed me to pull the line off of the radiator. I distorted one of the tabs in removal, but it looks like it will go back on just fine.

Actaully, you can possibly destroy all of the tabs inside to get it off, and then buy a new tab insert when you want to put it back on. I am not sure if DC will sell you just the tabs or not, but they should. That little ring with the tabs comes right out.
lol.. thanks for the response... 12 years later i see it.. i have an xj now.. zj went bye bye.. traded it in for a 2014 cherokee.. leased it.. lease ended.. got a commander.. drove that until i couldnt afford gas anymore.. and then traded it in.. on an fj cruiser.. love my toyota .. but had to have a jeep again.. so got a 2001 cherokee xj with 149k on it..

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
lol.. thanks for the response... 12 years later i see it.. i have an xj now.. zj went bye bye.. traded it in for a 2014 cherokee.. leased it.. lease ended.. got a commander.. drove that until i couldnt afford gas anymore.. and then traded it in.. on an fj cruiser.. love my toyota .. but had to have a jeep again.. so got a 2001 cherokee xj with 149k on it..
No problem. I beat your response time. I am only 3 years after you responded.

After the ZJ, I picked up a WJ Overland along with a XK like you. I put a Diablo Sport tune on the XK Limited 5.7L, and I was getting about 12 mpg. I had the WJ and XK for about 10 years each. The XK started to overheat badly without any explanation. I dumped that one in '18 with 178K miles on the clock. Given that experience, I would probably avoid the Hemi in the future. Oil consumption was high. Had to do 16 plugs every 50K miles. MDS seemed useless to me. Some had nasty issues with lifters.

My 4x4 style is now a '15 Yukon XL SLT. It gets paid off in 16 more payments. At that point, I am probably going to lift it a good 4 inches. Right now, I am sporting 33 inch tires on stock ride height and upgraded Bilstein shocks.

I see a used WL somewhere out in my future. Have to buy a sedan for my youngest next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts