Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Just picked up a '76 Cj7, with the 304 V8, 3 speed. Runs great, drives ok. Haven't had time to investigate if it's still the dana20 tc, or 300. Shift selector pattern is for the 300, not the 20. Question is, it drives "best" in what is 4 low. It drives in 2 high and 4 high, but is very, lets say slow/hard. Haven't tried to push it, cause I'm afraid something is going to snap or jam in both 2 and 4 high. Any thoughts on where to start besides determining what TC it really has.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,052 Posts
Look underneath, take a picture of the transfercase and post it up here. Also, the 20 has a steel output housing and the dana 300 has an aluminum output housing

·
Registered
913 Posts
Will take pics this weekend. Also, if you lock the hubs it goes into 4wd, so I know the hubs are currently unlocked.
Huh??
If locking the hubs engages 4wd, that means the xfer case is already in 4wd mode.

With the Dana 20 xfer case, low range is all the way back,
Dana 300 case is the opposite...low range is all the way forward.

Likewise, neutral in the Dana 20 is one notch forward from low range, neutral in the 300 is one position back from low range.

Reactions: bob4703

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, got this pic today. The numbers under the tag are C18-15-24, and on the tag are 300596 so correct me if I'm wrong, but those correspond to a Dana 20 tc. However the shift pattern is from front to back, 4L, N, 2H, 4H. Which does not correspond to a Dana 20 according to 95% of info I can find. Were there 2 different Dana 20 shift patterns or is it something else. By the way it's a 3 speed, with I believe a T150.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Dana 300's have an aluminum output shaft housing.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
If your shift pattern is (front of jeep to back) 4L-N-2H-4H ... pretty sure that is a dana 300. Matt's pic shows the Dana 20 pattern that is opposite. One thing I would recommend checking, which was an issue with mine...check the shift linkage. The Dana 300 shifter shift link turned out to be one the PO built out of some bent metal and has so much slop in it from being worn out that the jeep would not shift into 2H properly. Maybe something to look at.

The part I am talking about:

Font Auto part Metal Temperature Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Dana 20

Lube/ oil holes for the shift rods.

Pic 1) grease fitting at the base of the shifter stick.

In case you don't know......No 4X4ing on pavement/ concrete/ hard surfaces....Bad things might happen to your drivetrain

-----JEEPFELLER

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts