Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 Cherokee Country 4.0 HO, 192K, automatic.

OK so here's the story, tranny has never had any work, started, within the last month slipping when I take off only. Fluid was a little brown, on second drain and fill as of last week Friday, haven't checked color, still slips in first. Did the TV adjustment, test drive was great. Left for work started slipping again. If I keep it in 3, no slip, runs perfect, put into drive while driving shifts into OD perfectly. Have heard about the fuse on the RH side interior, haven't checked, haven't checked TCM. Mechanically it works as it should. After fuse and TCM, any other options?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Un plug the TCM and test drive. Shift in manual mode. If no slipping, then it is an electrical problem. There are two plugs up by the trans dipstick. The black one is to the three solenoids and the one or two speed sensors. I'm going by my '98, your '96 is a bit different. Need to see what the plugs pins are. You can measure the ohm for the solenoids. The pin to a ground, the engine block. They should measure 11 to 16 ohms. I am not sure if you have one or two speed sensors etc. On the '98, I measure between the two pins for each one. About 5 to 6 ohms. There is a rotation test, but I don't get a consistent fluxuation as per the manual.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Un plug the TCM and test drive. Shift in manual mode. If no slipping, then it is an electrical problem. There are two plugs up by the trans dipstick. The black one is to the three solenoids and the one or two speed sensors. I'm going by my '98, your '96 is a bit different. Need to see what the plugs pins are. You can measure the ohm for the solenoids. The pin to a ground, the engine block. They should measure 11 to 16 ohms. I am not sure if you have one or two speed sensors etc. On the '98, I measure between the two pins for each one. About 5 to 6 ohms. There is a rotation test, but I don't get a consistent fluxuation as per the manual.
Great, thanks, shifting manually now works great, I figured on electrical, just didn't want to miss anything.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Cruiser's post points to another possible problem. The voltage from the battery can cause problems. Cleaning grounds, make sure the battery is healthy etc. I made some new cables for both of mine. Didn't help with the tranny, but other stuff worked better. I also upgraded the ground strap to #4 wire. Although I doubt this is your problem, also clean the connection to the Brake light switch. It does corrode and is part of the trans system. Others are TBS and the ECM (computer).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.