Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trail maintenance question!

187 4
Hey guys. I'm relatively new to the jeepin community, but I had a few questions about trail clean up and maintenance. I'm seriously considering starting a small, maybe non-profit, club to do trail maintenance and clean up here in Colorado. I know its a huge idea with a small brain behind it, but I hate seeing dirty trails, and with all the fire damage and rainfall right after, its a much needed thing. I love my off road time just like the rest of ya, but its gotten so bad since all the trails have washed out, or been burned so badly. Every time I head up in the hills I bring along a chainsaw, but its definitely not easy to hall trees by yourself! Any suggestions and/or comments would definitely be appreciated. I've been part of quite a few groups before, but never thought about starting one before. Any help would be awesome!

And before anyone asks...yes, I've looked into local groups, but nothing jumped out at me. Everybody is pretty stuck on "their territory" and doesn't like to branch out very much. So I thought I'd check into my own deal. Thanks again guys, and happy new year!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying for a while to get a hold of some rangers, but I think the recent fires, and flooding have made it a little harder than normal. I did talk to a buddy at the DOW a few days ago, and he said the same thing. Unfortunately, its not on the top of their priority list at the moment. They closed a few of the trails already for the winter season, which is odd, because they typically don't close the ones that they did. I don't know if its an erosion problem, or if its something else. The problem here in Colorado is that we have so many outside visitors (not that its bad in any way), but some of those guys leave stuff out on trail, or tear things up pretty good. This year, deer hunting, we saw a few trucks with out of state plates tear right past a "no entry, erosion control area" sign. I got plate numbers, and the rangers handled it. But I've seen more and more of that stuff happening. Its just a real bummer that our trails seem to be closing at a rapid rate, and nobody has come up with any solutions to solve it. Thanks for the info though, and I suppose I'll just keep trying. My wife and I are looking into joining a local club. So maybe I can talk with some of the guys and see what we can come up with. Winter is only a few months, so I want to be ready to hit the ground running when wheelin' season comes back around again. If anybody comes out here to Colorado to wheel, you're more than welcome...just remember, have fun, AND STAY THE TRAIL!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.