Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm relatively new to the jeepin community, but I had a few questions about trail clean up and maintenance. I'm seriously considering starting a small, maybe non-profit, club to do trail maintenance and clean up here in Colorado. I know its a huge idea with a small brain behind it, but I hate seeing dirty trails, and with all the fire damage and rainfall right after, its a much needed thing. I love my off road time just like the rest of ya, but its gotten so bad since all the trails have washed out, or been burned so badly. Every time I head up in the hills I bring along a chainsaw, but its definitely not easy to hall trees by yourself! Any suggestions and/or comments would definitely be appreciated. I've been part of quite a few groups before, but never thought about starting one before. Any help would be awesome!

And before anyone asks...yes, I've looked into local groups, but nothing jumped out at me. Everybody is pretty stuck on "their territory" and doesn't like to branch out very much. So I thought I'd check into my own deal. Thanks again guys, and happy new year!

· RIP one good jeeper
21,304 Posts
Get a hold of the local authorities. The ranger stations should have personnel dedicated to setting up such details for this type of work. I'm just presuming this is in an area patrolled by rangers.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying for a while to get a hold of some rangers, but I think the recent fires, and flooding have made it a little harder than normal. I did talk to a buddy at the DOW a few days ago, and he said the same thing. Unfortunately, its not on the top of their priority list at the moment. They closed a few of the trails already for the winter season, which is odd, because they typically don't close the ones that they did. I don't know if its an erosion problem, or if its something else. The problem here in Colorado is that we have so many outside visitors (not that its bad in any way), but some of those guys leave stuff out on trail, or tear things up pretty good. This year, deer hunting, we saw a few trucks with out of state plates tear right past a "no entry, erosion control area" sign. I got plate numbers, and the rangers handled it. But I've seen more and more of that stuff happening. Its just a real bummer that our trails seem to be closing at a rapid rate, and nobody has come up with any solutions to solve it. Thanks for the info though, and I suppose I'll just keep trying. My wife and I are looking into joining a local club. So maybe I can talk with some of the guys and see what we can come up with. Winter is only a few months, so I want to be ready to hit the ground running when wheelin' season comes back around again. If anybody comes out here to Colorado to wheel, you're more than welcome...just remember, have fun, AND STAY THE TRAIL!

· Registered
11,880 Posts
why not join a local club and help out. Most states have nonprofit 4x4 clubs. I am in two here in AZ we have many 'Adopted" trails. These trails are recognize by the state and even eligible for grants. For signs, clean up the needs. heavy equipment etc.. We have to clean the trails two times a year, though we tend to run them more than that anyway. Unless you want to start a club that is a lot of work and you really need a NPO.

· Saving Trails for Jeeping
91 Posts
Join a local club or a few local clubs as well as the State Association.
If that doesn't fix the situation, pick your trail you want to "adopt" and clean up and just do it. Yes, please go thru the process of asking the local land manager (BLM or USFS) for adopt a trail paperwork; but don't let that stop you from getting a few buddies together, organizing a small run, and picking up trash on a run.

No need to be too official (non-profit and all that). Just get some buds together, make a few rules about trail behavior, ensure no drinking on trail, enforce safety measures (seat belts for example), get some good trash bags and go get it. Check out www.trasharoo.com

Apply for the Adopt a Trail process with the feds or state agency; but in the meantime, just go do it.
Del

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.