Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thinking about it for ten plus years and collecting parts for the last three years I have started the process of stretching my TJ. I will be going from the stock 93.4" wheel base to 108.4". I will be using parts from a donor LJ for the floor, roll bar, inner fenders, frame extensions, and the top edges of the tub.
When it was new...

What it looked like before starting the stretch and one of the big reasons for the stretch (my Homebrew expo trailer)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Donor LJ
Pulled the roll bar and cut off as much of the tub as possible to facilitate storage. (This was done summer 2011)
Pounds of seam sealer that came out...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interior out, all wiring harnesses moved forward of cut line.

Rocker guards & rear flares removed. Rear bumper / tire carrier and fuel tank removed as well

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Thinking about doing the same thing can't wait to watch!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exhaust and driveshaft are out, parking brake cable, fuel and brake lines separated.

Measure many times, measure again, mark cut lines & witness marks, measure again...

I am more or less following the aev brute frame extension procedure, so I removed the body mount under the rear edge of the door and cut there.
I decided to use these factory punched holes (where the stock steps would be mounted if equipped) as a reference point. The cut line is two inches aft of the leading edge of the elongated hole. I scribed vertical witness marks two inches either side of the cut line to aid in reassembly. I put horizontal marks on each face as well (not pictured).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jeeprubi2005 said:
Why would you not just swap the lj body on your tj and just extend the frame instead of cutting the a tj rubicon in half??
I used to own a Willys m170 (the military version of a CJ6) and I am partial to that layout. I want all the wheelbase I can get while "looking stock".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Might as well ask- you willing to sell that crossmember from your donor frame? The one that has the upper shock mounts on it/mounts the front of the gas tank to it? Mine is rusted to crap and no one makes a replacement. Awesome project as well!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After I was satisfied with my layout I put jacked up the jeep high enough to balance it on its front tires and an a pair of jack stands near the back edge of the skid plate. This left the rear tires approximately 1.5" off the ground at full droop. I did put some stands just below the frame so that when the cut was made the rear could only fall approximately 1/4" . Then I pulled all remaining body mounts except the one under the grill (loosened as much as possible) and blocked the body about 5-6" above normal at the cut (still close to stock height at the radiator). Then it was time to cut he frame

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Like what I see so far.

Sent from my XT881 freeze ray gun using JeepForum.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts