Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen this questions asked many times and I have never seen a good answer for it; I see why now. I’m replacing my steering box and have removed one of the o-rings from the power steering hose fitting. The o-ring cross section is not round; it’s kinda wedged shaped. It’s flat on one side (1.5mm) and tapers to an edge on the other side. It’s 2mm thick and has an ID of 8mm.

I have a question for the folks who’s rebuilt steering boxes came with replacement o-rings (my $400 Borgeson from PSC did not :mad:). Were the replacement o-rings round or wedge shaped like the OEM o-rings?

Thanks for any help,
NIB

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
They'll be round to begin with and squash to the shape you've found them in. I've replaced them in the past, but having said that I've never had a leak from the fittings just leaving the old o-rings in place.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They'll be round to begin with and squash to the shape you've found them in.
That must be right, but the way the mold seam looks, it almost looks like it started out that way. Now I just got to figure out what size it was when it was round before it got crushed into that wedge shape. :)

I know Jeep would rather sell a $50 hose than a $2 o-ring, but it pisses me off that they don't sell those o-rings seperate. Almost makes me want to buy a yoter....... almost.

Thanks,
NIB

·
Registered
918 Posts
Does anyone know if the fitting at the pump for the hose and reservoir fittings uses the same o-ring as the steering gear?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Does anyone know if the fitting at the pump for the hose and reservoir fittings uses the same o-ring as the steering gear?
FYI, yes they do. They're interchangeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.