Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1998 Wrangler and I noticed all the nuts on the back of the skid plate(Facing towards the bumper) were all missing and was hanging down. I tried to put temporary nuts on for the moment because I was away from home but then the actual bolts started turning. I thought they were held in place. Did they break or is there another way to stop the turning?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Exactly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...L3oASF0YCgBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1007&bih=585

In case you don't know, carriage bolts have a square section between the threads and the heads. In this case, the square section fits through a square hole, which is what keeps the bolt from spinning as you thread the nut on.

They should also have some washers that are kind of like star washers (but not the same) that should slide over the bolt on the nut side. These hold the carriage bolts in the hole while you thread the nut on.

I suspect those are missing. But you could just use some needle nose pliers to lightly hold the bolts in such a way that they stay seated as you thread the nuts on. Just don't squeeze too hard and strip the threads with the pliers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
PS- looks like the washers I was referring to are formally called "stud retention washers". The inner diameter should be slightly smaller than the bolt diamater, so that they slide on and hold the carriage bolt in place.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Also, remember that two of those bolts coming down actually go to the gas tank straps and have nothing to do with holding the skid plate in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys so much. I didn't even think about those kind of bolts! I've seen them but never thought it was used for this. And thanks for the diagram too it helped me a little

·
Registered
216 Posts
also, note that it's possible your carriage bolts are stripped (the square part might've be made round). Are your bolts rusty?

If so, your only option is to buy new carriage bolts, drop your tank, and replace them. I did this job today actually (replaced fuel pump, installed savvy skid). it's not too bad, but wait until you're running on fumes.

My fuel pump failed with a lot of gas still in the tank- it was a PITA to re-install!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.