Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 tj that wont start. all the lights on the gauge cluster will come on it wont turn over. I have tried jumping it, checking the fuses, and replacing the starter. Can anyone help me solve this issue?

· Registered
2,601 Posts
The usual suspects are Poor battery connections, Poor ground connection at engine block, Starter relay not working,
Remove battery terminals and clean all contact areas until shinny clean
Remove ground terminal on engine block and clean until shinny clean
Substitute starter relay with a known good one
Get battery load tested

The above are all things you should be able to do with a minimum of mechanical knowledge.

If none of the above correct the problem then you will need a bit more knowledge and a helper
When you replaced the starter there was a heavy guage and a light gauge wire at the starter. Using a 12volt test light, go under the Jeep and connect the alligator clip to a know good ground and put the pointy end on the starter connection with the small guage wire. .Now have a helper turn the key to the start position with the Jeep in neutral, park brake on and their foot solidly on the brake pedal. the light should come on. If it does not come on, have the helper turn off the key and remove it, but remain in the cab See if the heavy wire turns the light on. Most likely it will. Disconnect the small wire at the starter. Using a suitable length of 14ga. +/- insulated wire attach one end to the positive terminal of the battery and briefly touch the other end of the wire to the small connection on the starter. In doing so you have eliminated the ignition circuit and the starter should turn the engine over, but not start it as your helper will have removed the key. If the engine does turn over have your helper re insert the key but turn only to the run position. keeping their foot on the brake, transmission in neutral etc. and repeat the above. If the engine starts, your problem is in the ignition circuit. Could be clutch switch, ignition switch or wiring. This should get you started though. Take your time and be carefull

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The usual suspects are Poor battery connections, Poor ground connection at engine block, Starter relay not working,
Remove battery terminals and clean all contact areas until shinny clean
Remove ground terminal on engine block and clean until shinny clean
Substitute starter relay with a known good one
Get battery load tested

The above are all things you should be able to do with a minimum of mechanical knowledge.

If none of the above correct the problem then you will need a bit more knowledge and a helper
When you replaced the starter there was a heavy guage and a light gauge wire at the starter. Using a 12volt test light, go under the Jeep and connect the alligator clip to a know good ground and put the pointy end on the starter connection with the small guage wire. .Now have a helper turn the key to the start position with the Jeep in neutral, park brake on and their foot solidly on the brake pedal. the light should come on. If it does not come on, have the helper turn off the key and remove it, but remain in the cab See if the heavy wire turns the light on. Most likely it will. Disconnect the small wire at the starter. Using a suitable length of 14ga. +/- insulated wire attach one end to the positive terminal of the battery and briefly touch the other end of the wire to the small connection on the starter. In doing so you have eliminated the ignition circuit and the starter should turn the engine over, but not start it as your helper will have removed the key. If the engine does turn over have your helper re insert the key but turn only to the run position. keeping their foot on the brake, transmission in neutral etc. and repeat the above. If the engine starts, your problem is in the ignition circuit. Could be clutch switch, ignition switch or wiring. This should get you started though. Take your time and be carefull
I cleaned the terminals before replacing the starter. I switched the relay with a good one too. and i just got the battery tested and it was fine. What light should come on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.