Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was driving my LJ with 42rle home and as I pulled into an intersection my RPMs shot up to like 3 thousand and driving got real sluggish. I assume that it went into limp mode because of a bad shift solenoid I drove it home slowly, as all I had was 2nd gear. Dropped the pan, the valve body, and replaced the solenoid pack and trans filter. Fluid was a little dark but pretty clean and no metal shavings or pieces in the pan. Put it back together and plugged everything in and fired up. Shifted into reverse and nothing. Drive nothing. Tried revving the engine some and it started to go as the RPMs got a little higher. The same with reverse. Is fluid not getting somewhere? Is pressure low? I'm stumped.

· Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
76,763 Posts
My bet is you didn't add enough ATF+4. The engine must be running while you check its ATF level with the transmission's dipstick, make sure it's all the way to the full hot line. The dipstick will erroneously show a higher level of ATF than is really there if the engine isn't running. 'Tis better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than slightly underfilled.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I was driving my LJ with 42rle home and as I pulled into an intersection my RPMs shot up to like 3 thousand and driving got real sluggish. I assume that it went into limp mode because of a bad shift solenoid I drove it home slowly, as all I had was 2nd gear. Dropped the pan, the valve body, and replaced the solenoid pack and trans filter. Fluid was a little dark but pretty clean and no metal shavings or pieces in the pan. Put it back together and plugged everything in and fired up. Shifted into reverse and nothing. Drive nothing. Tried revving the engine some and it started to go as the RPMs got a little higher. The same with reverse. Is fluid not getting somewhere? Is pressure low? I'm stumped.
I'm fix'n to have to do the same. What codes did yours throw? How long did this all take? And if you don't mind sharing cost for parts? I already got fluid and filter kit, but not solenoid etc . I'm a pretty handy gal and do all my own work, but I am facing some health issues now so just curious how long it took you and how you would rate it on a scale of difficulty and strenuous work? I thank you in advance! I gotta get my boy back on the road AND DIRT!

· Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,508 Posts
What year TJ/LJ? 05-06' autos have PCM shifting issues that only Wranglerfix can cure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts