Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at this Cj-7, it has 100k miles and I was told all the parts are original except the doors and top, I'm not 100% sure how authentic it is, I am still new to the specs and value on these models.
I believe this is the last year with the V8 engine? Any insight would be great!

I apologize for the uncropped photos.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel Mode of transport
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive mirror
Automotive design Automotive tire Chair Automotive exterior Rim
Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge Car
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
23,567 Posts
Are you looking for all original equipment? Unmolested?

No,
This had been modded a lot. Seats different, Fenders are aftermarket. Got a picture of the back? It may be a YJ tub. I don't think i would ever put those pull up handles on a CJ Top so it might have a YJ rollbar setup which attaches to the windshield.

Is it a good buy anyway?
Depends. Have you checked the frame?
YJ tubs are better at resisting rust.

·
Premium Member
10,378 Posts
Save us time and guesswork, tell us what they are asking for it. And what you expect from it.

As mentioned, it's far from original, so what you are looking at is a highly modded jeep.

Whether those mods are good or bad depend on a while lot more info, price, and what you expect from it.

Hoss

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Save us time and guesswork, tell us what they are asking for it. And what you expect from it.

As mentioned, it's far from original, so what you are looking at is a highly modded jeep.

Whether those mods are good or bad depend on a while lot more info, price, and what you expect from it.

Hoss
Right now it is listed at 20k, I unfortunately don't have a list of the mods, I'm mostly looking for reliability and this jeep seemed very clean and well maintained compared to the others in my area. I don't mind the mods, but I don't want to purchase a car where the mods decreased the value to where I overpay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, that looks to be in good shape but is nowhere near original. I would steer clear of it simply because he lied about it being original. Who knows what else he is lying about.
I actually think he doesn't know what has been modded and what hasn't. He bought it from someone else, he's been very open with all of my questions so far. I'm more concerned with overpaying for it atm. But I'll definitely look into the mods more to make sure I'm not being lied to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That Jeep looks to me like a "resto-mod", (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if done well) and is a mix of parts. I suspect that all the chrome pieces, rubber and dash lights are new aftermarket parts (not original). A lot of times the reproduction parts don't last near as long as the OEM parts. So don't look at that shiny chrome and clear plastic and think "Wow, this has sure held up well over the last 41 years. It should last at least another 20 years." In my experience many of the replica parts start to age (rust, crack, etc...) in just a year or two.

Get a picture of the tailgate. Also look underneath and get some pics of the frame. Look for rust or rust repair in the frame. I'm immediately suspicious about the rocker rails. What are they covering up?

·
Premium Member
10,378 Posts
You need to know EVERYTHING about it to get a value... if he bought it built and doesn't know, red flag.

What motor, trans, transfer case? What axles? What gears? How many miles in them? What changes/rebuilds? What about the brakes and clutch? Cooling system? What about rust, patches and paint? How old are the tires? What springs and shocks? Shackles? What about wiring and guages? And that's just to start!

Hoss

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm with the others (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) just from the pictures, it is is a nice looking, highly modified CJ front Grill and dash. The rest of it is most likely not from a CJ but either way it has also been highly modified.

Just from my view, it isn't what I like but to each his own. $20,000 is a lot to spend without knowing everything there is to know about it especially its bones. But if it is well done, and it is the type of ride you are looking for, well it is your money.

If you were looking for an Original CJ, or close to original CJ, Id keep looking. I think we would all agree that it has some nice parts on it, not all of us would agree that they should all be on it at the same time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
First off, I like it - it LOOKS like a well-done restomod, but as with anything, looks can be deceiving. As others have already mentioned, it's very much not authentic - there are a lot of YJ parts showing through, as well as aftermarket goodies. I ain't gonna lie though - I'm not a fan of the cut-up fenders - front or rear - give me the factory CJ look any day. The lift, 33" tires and that style wheels appeal to me, however.

I don't know that it's a YJ tub - why would they have soft-top snaps on the side, if that's the case? A YJ tailgate will open from the driver side with the hinges on the passengers side, and also have the fuel filler hidden behind the license plate on the driver side (I 'think' I see a little bit of filler bezel on the passenger side right below the taillight... hard to be sure... but that indicates CJ tub). Even if it is a CJ tub, an early YJ roll bar (non-'family' bar) should bolt right in, and then fasten to the windshield frame as seen (with appropriate YJ hardware) - I think '91 was the last year of the traditional roll bar style.

As long as everything is functional and doesn't look '[email protected]' when you get up close and person, I think $20K is not out of the question (always see if they'll go lower, of course). If it wasn't as nicely-equipped as seen in those pics, I'd be more comfortable in the $8-10K range, depending on how it runs... but with all the goodies showing, I'd be OK offering $14K, prepared to get closer to asking price as the negotiations work out.

·
Premium Member
10,378 Posts
Don't think those are factory snaps, they are more likely bolt holes from the stock early style rollbar that bolted thru the side of the tub.

Like we said, one of the many questions that needs to be answered. Also, first pic is full hard doors and top, the rest are half doors and soft top... does he have both?

And as always, lots of little nit picky things... does he know the front bumper is mounted upside down? And it has mismatched/wrong size wipers? And it's missing the clutch and brake pedal rubber covers? They arw all small, but make me suspicious of what else is (or isn't) done right...

Hoss

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,023 Posts
The bolts on the side are for the Poison Spider 'Crusher' corners, i.e. plate sides with the flare welded to them, also has the Poison Spider rockers and front fenders. Quite possible an early YJ tub, front windshield has the rib at the bottom and I don't think that would have been on the 81 windshield. It does look well put together, but like others have said, a bunch of little annoyances of stuff that wasn't finished, pedal covers, steering wheel on upside down, front bumper, wiper alignment. all of that said though, as it sits you likely couldn't build it for 20K is you were paying someone to do the work and if you did it yourself to the point it is at right now, you would creep right up on the 20k figure.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It no longer looks like an '83???

It appears to be a wanna be WWII Jeep up front

And a Square Headlighter in the rear.

CJ-7 never entered my mind when I saw the pics

It does possess some usable parts

I'd start the dickering at $100 and go no more than $!000

(Gotta leave some room in there for profit, when you part it out)

-----JEEPFELLER

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, as I said before... What are those rockers (and corner guards) covering up?

There is certainly value there in parts and labor. There is value there in it being a running vehicle (I'm assuming that it is running, but maybe I shouldn't assume that). After all have you seen the price of used cars recently? There is value there in the fact that it is a Jeep (even if we can't tell what year or model it is). There is ZERO value there for it being an "original Renegade" or an original anything. It's a cool old Jeep that may be pretty good shape. If it runs than that adds to the value. If the paint, chrome and armor aren't covering up a bunch of sins, then I would say that it is worth about $10k around where I live.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,023 Posts
My money is on the tub is in very good condition, only because it looks a lot like a repop, real hard to tell with the gloss black, but I am not seeing Jeep or Joop on the lower cowl panel and from the pictures that cowl comes nowhere close to matching the curve of the hood, which has been well documented to be be way off on the md juan tubs.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts