Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
2301 - 2317 of 2317 Posts

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,304 ·
Past two days have been devoted to the D30 U-joint and the RMS/Oil pan replacement. Yesterday involved replacing the u-joint via a hammer and reassembling the axle up until it came time to put the spacer on and I confirmed I had no red Loctite. Also drooped the axle to spin the coil until the bottom end of the stock was seated in the slot made into the pad. Additionally, drained the oil, pulled the exhaust, oil filter, pan, main bearing brace, and rear bearing cap, and knocked out the RMS.

Today, drove the new seal in, applied anaerobic sealant, and bolted the rear bearing cap and main brace back in. Discovered I had no RTV so had to clean up (I was absolutely covered in dried oil and grease) and take the Element to O'Reilly's. Fought with the new pan before opting to pull the starter and make my life much easier. Felpro's Snap-Ups came in handy to hold the pan up, although I threaded one past the threads which made it damn near impossible to get back out of the block. Added filter and oil, reattached starter and upper O2's (idk why I pulled the uppers, they aren't on the downpipe) and hastily bolted the spacer and wheel back on to get out of the garage so dad could put the hard top on the JK (U-haul won't rent without one). While it sounded ferocious as always pulling out with open headers, it ended up being all for naught, as he was running late, so we pulled the soft top in the driveway then and put the hard top on later. Back in the garage, pulled the wheel apart again to Loctite the spacer lugs and fought with the exhaust to remount it. Sounding good, feeling good.

Because engines (and my newly sparkling block plate) are sexy.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,305 ·
Cleaned, primed, and painted S88 rotors, shafts, and bearing cups. Forgot finished pic, but I was careful to glue the now-rare Superior badges back on. While I was at it, I opted to paint that strip of body visible with a BL and the beat up GTS.

Oh, and lol...

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,310 ·
What's up with the paint on the brake rotors ?....is it something special that doesn't pollute the brake pads?
Nope. Plain old rusto. The paint was light where the pad rides; I attempted to avoid it as much as possible but overspray is going to happen. The pads clear the paint quickly and the drive back cleaned any paint stuck on the pads by time I was back. If it was the front axle or both axles, I would have done it differently, but for just the rear axle, it isn't the big deal some like to make it.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,311 ·
Since I park in the same spot high up in the parking deck next to my apartment (spot most visible from bedroom window), I've noticed it has decided to leak oil again around the RMS area. While that could be the end of the world, I'm fairly certain it is the pan gasket leaking and not the RMS. The leak is coming from the passenger side of the rear pan, soaking the starter, but the area under the RMS is still clean. I was extremely careful with the RMS install and don't think I possibly could have f'd it up. However, the pan install was a little more reckless (that pan is awkward as hell to install alone). I'm not positive it was seated properly on the rear bearing cap either. I was just tired of working on it and needed it out of the garage that night. Overall, it's not as significant as the old RMS leak and I should have time after this Summer Session to fix it right.

I also noticed this morning that the Dorman Cam Position Sensor that came with the Synchronizer started acting up again, cutting out on just-recently-started acceleration. Coincidentally, a storm yesterday brought a cold front through last night and it's rather cold. It stopped cutting out the first time when we hit sunny, 80deg weather every day. So looks like the Dorman unit isn't a fan of the cold. Luckily there is still plenty of summer to go.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Since I park in the same spot high up in the parking deck next to my apartment (spot most visible from bedroom window), I've noticed it has decided to leak oil again around the RMS area. While that could be the end of the world, I'm fairly certain it is the pan gasket leaking and not the RMS. The leak is coming from the passenger side of the rear pan, soaking the starter, but the area under the RMS is still clean. I was extremely careful with the RMS install and don't think I possibly could have f'd it up. However, the pan install was a little more reckless (that pan is awkward as hell to install alone). I'm not positive it was seated properly on the rear bearing cap either. I was just tired of working on it and needed it out of the garage that night. Overall, it's not as significant as the old RMS leak and I should have time after this Summer Session to fix it right.

I also noticed this morning that the Dorman Cam Position Sensor that came with the Synchronizer started acting up again, cutting out on just-recently-started acceleration. Coincidentally, a storm yesterday brought a cold front through last night and it's rather cold. It stopped cutting out the first time when we hit sunny, 80deg weather every day. So looks like the Dorman unit isn't a fan of the cold. Luckily there is still plenty of summer to go.
I think you just did a bad job. :rofl:

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,317 ·
Crazy weekend at the J-O Meet N Greet. Wheeled the creek in Eden, then several ran down to URE to night wheel Daniel and run the park Sunday.

Also, after much talk and deliberation this weekend about forums and whatnot, I will likely be cutting my time on JF either significantly or completely. The site no longer has much to offer and I, as well as many others, have moved to greener fields. I'm going to stop maintaining this build thread and any others on forums I visit far less often than here. The build and most of my traffic will be consolidated to J-O. Most of the people I interact with in the community are set up there and I'm done paying not to have to wait 60 seconds to do anything and to have any inbox space, among other things. JF has become nothing more than a soul-less profit-driven machine since it went corporate. Additionally, this should give me the opportunity to catch up on many builds I've fallen hopelessly behind on.

If you would like to continue following this build, you can find it here: http://www.jeep-owner.com/index.php/topic,182.0.html

2301 - 2317 of 2317 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.