Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The Right Hand Drive (RHD) Thread

12053 30
Hi Community

I moved to New Zealand from the States about 4 years ago and have been waiting for the right time to buy a CJ7. I recently found an 84 that needs the usual love. Anyway, there are some clear differences between the LHD and the RHD CJ so in an effort to not buy the wrong parts and help out other RHD CJ owners of the future... Lets share info.

So these jeeps went out to the obvious places
UK
Australia
New Zealand
and all over Asia

Some key differences I have noticed
The steering wheel is on the right side :)
The battery is on the passenger side
and as I dig deeper I am sure to find more.

So please, if you have insight into differences and good info for other RHD CJ owners please share!:2thumbsup::cheers2:

Tags I cant add myself due to lack of permissions: CJ7 RHD Right Hand Drive
Reactions: Tswiczko
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
9,675 Posts
I have several CJ7s and they are as God intended with the wheel on the correct side.

A few minor differences:

- You can see out of the hinge mounted mirrors a lot better - no need to peer through the windscreen
- The clutch linkages are hydraulic
- The headlamps are RHD pattern - though any 7" round one will fit
- You may have the Duraspark ICM on the inside under the dash
- The fuel tank and vent system may be different - non regulated Export system may be fitted

Apart from that there are very few differences that I am aware of.

• Haha
Reactions: John Strenk

· Registered
1,728 Posts
1. Painless wiring harness is no good, fuse box bulkhead connector is right of centre making all the lengths wrong.
2. Can't get a new (aftermarket) dash overlay so if you have one don't wreck it taking it of to paint the dash. It is the reverse of the American version.
3. Easy to fit power brakes if you don't have them already. Our right hand version doesn't crowd out the aircleaner.

Sure I can think of more. Welcome to the forum.

· Registered
1,728 Posts
walkerhoundvm said:
I've only read about this from other CJ8 postal owners, but apparently the power steering hoses are a PITA to service/replace.

Welcome to the forum!
Nah, mine came out of a Kingswood. ( Holden car)

· Registered
1,728 Posts
walkerhoundvm said:
Got the details on that? I'm sure there are some postal owners who'd be happy to know about any source for replacement parts :)
Yep. It came from a 76 HX Premier. Bolts right in with a small mod to the steering shaft

The pump bolts right in too using the original bracket. It does lean over at about 15 degrees from vertical though but that doesn't pose a problem. I've run mine for 15 years with not problem.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Gazzo,

Can you possibly do me a BIG favor? I have the same engine in my RHD 84 CJ7 and I think the last owner wired up the external solenoid wrong and I am having some electrical issues. Can you take a picture of your solenoid for me? All the diagrams I see tell me they had it wrong but I would love to see what you're running.
This is mine.

It appears the alternator lead is on the wrong side. That is it on the left with the lead going directly to the starter just out of the picture.

· Registered
1,728 Posts
ffrost3 said:
Hey Gazzo,

Can you possibly do me a BIG favor? I have the same engine in my RHD 84 CJ7 and I think the last owner wired up the external solenoid wrong and I am having some electrical issues. Can you take a picture of your solenoid for me? All the diagrams I see tell me they had it wrong but I would love to see what you're running.
This is mine.

It appears the alternator lead is on the wrong side. That is it on the left with the lead going directly to the starter just out of the picture.
No worries frosty, the latest addition to the family is completely stock and mostly unfiddled with. It's at my workshop so I'll take some pix tomorrow and post em up just in case anyone else needs that info too.

Did you see what I scored last week?

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Here's the starter solenoid. Left comes from the battery and right goes to the starter although that doesn't matter as it's only a contactor. The other two are what you're after.

Whilst I was poking around in there I found this. I've never seen one of these before. All intact and complete, crazy for something 26 years old.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Everything that you are saying about your solenoid is exactly the opposite of what mine is doing. lol

Also, I need a wiper motor and all the rest of the linkage etc that goes wit it. Im assuming this is going to be another one that is completely different. Does anyone have a right hand and a left hand drive jeep that can verify?

· Premium Member
9,675 Posts
The assembly looks identical between left and right hand drive but there are two differences:

1. Wiper motor - there are left hand and right hand ones. I assume this is because the wipers will park on the other side. Mine do not park at all so hard to say. This is a known issue with an undersize wire corroding that can be fixed, never got round to it. You could use a LHD one if you do not mind them parking on the wrong side.
2. Wiper arms are slightly different. I presume this is the length due to the parking. Mine have LHD arms and they do strike the rubber seal but it is unclear if this is an issue between RHD and LHD. They were a great improvement, previously at least one dropped off when turned on and they just smeared across the screen. With new LHD ones I could bring my head back inside the vehicle.

All other parts are interchangeable and you can order the same clamps, arms, blades etc as a LHD. The windscreen surrounds are also identical.

· Super Moderator
24,577 Posts
Everything that you are saying about your solenoid is exactly the opposite of what mine is doing. lol

Also, I need a wiper motor and all the rest of the linkage etc that goes wit it. Im assuming this is going to be another one that is completely different. Does anyone have a right hand and a left hand drive jeep that can verify?
Don't forget the orientation of the two solenoids are opposite each other in the pictures. Look for an "I" and the "S" terminals to verify the proper connections. Red to "I" "S" to start position of ignition switch.

Hard to say which one is mounted upside down, being on the other side of the planet and all that... :D

· Bicentennial Nickel
2,475 Posts
I came across this thread about differences and I guess I can chime in here as I have been trying to get my RHD back to looking like it was from the factory.

I did not have the heater box when I bought it... I do now, and it is VERY difrerent from the LHD.

The mirrors as well, CJ ones will work, but you have to redrill the arms to work... or you can search out the export mirrors, which I found one of the other day... just takes time to find the specific parts.

The funniest thing I find myself doing is going to the wrong side in the engine bay when working on things... orientation from working on many many LHD is just ingrained in your head and now you have to flip it.

The steering linkage is a lot different as well, but that was somewhat explained with the steering wheel on the wrong side comment.

cb

· Registered
344 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in here as a friend used to convert new CJ's and Wranglers to RHD for postal service use. The steering box turns in the opposite direction. He was getting the RHD steering box from Germany I believe, and back then (20+ years ago) he said he was paying over $600 (US) for them. I bought a LHD steering box (Wrangler) from him. He had quite a few of them and they were basically brand new. The splines were different from the CJ but the steering shaft still clamped on. Eventually I installed a Borgeson shaft with CJ splines on the wheel end and Wrangler splines at the box. I'm curious where the stock RHD steering box came from. I'm also fairly certain there must be another RHD vehicle that has a steering box you can use if you need it.

· Registered
3,560 Posts
I have several CJ7s and they are as God intended with the wheel on the correct side.
Bagus OMG what kind of silly nonsense is this? First the Jeep was designed by the Bantam Motor Car company out of Pennsylvania in the good old US of A and we aint got no right hand drive cars!!!!!!
And here is a world map with the correct side of the street verses the left (former British Colonies) but what do you expect from a country were drinking warm beer is the norm?
http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/list-of-left-driving-countries/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts