Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 2948 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jeep With No Name Teardown and Rebuild (Lots of Pics)

Okay folks, we finally had a day of great weather, temperature was lowest it's been in months, so I decided to finally start the teardown on The Jeep With No Name. The plan is to restore it back to original showroom condition. I want it to look as nice as Keith460's. This build is going to take years, so be patient. I took a load of pictures today; let me know what I'm doing right, or what I could be doing smarter.

Fred

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drew first blood.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something's not right with that rear leaf spring....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Airing up the tires for its last ride, before the teardown.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coming back from the last ride with Mikey.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somehow, I don't think the Delco Remy horn is original, but the windshield washer bottle is.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot how much fun this is.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely better than Lexapro...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lower radiator hose didn't want to go easy, so I sliced it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Renee was my documentarian and Mikey was my go-for.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
First in :D

Frederick, after three years on my build I can say that I would never attempt a project of this magnitude again unless I had the entire vehicle sandblasted by a professional. I wasted more time and money with wire wheels, flap discs and other creations stripping metal than I have on any other part of the build. Next time I will trailer the chassis to a shop, have it stripped and take it straight home and spray it with epoxy primer. Then I would do the same with the body after taking photos of the damage that would need metal repair.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoever decided to paint this engine yellow and green should be shot. Crappy 3" body lift goes bye bye too.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Proud day for me, when my little buddy asked me if he could turn a wrench, so I let him take the power steering pump off. Not quite sure if the power steering was original or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had to Sawzall the bumper, to get to the bolts. Time to drain the oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wouldn't you know the wind kicked up and I got an oil bath...battery on the camera went dead, but I got the carb, intake and crappy Heddman headers off too...that's all for today.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First in :D

Frederick, after three years on my build I can say that I would never attempt a project of this magnitude again unless I had the entire vehicle sandblasted by a professional. I wasted more time and money with wire wheels, flap discs and other creations stripping metal than I have on any other part of the build. Next time I will trailer the chassis to a shop, have it stripped and take it straight home and spray it with epoxy primer. Then I would do the same with the body after taking photos of the damage that would need metal repair.

Good luck with your project!
Given the shape of the body, I think a new one from Willys Overland is in order. The only thing from the body that's salvageable is the hood and maybe the grill. The driver's fender is from a 1984 Renegade...who knows what the passenger side fender is from.

There is a sandblaster in town, which is where the frame is going to go, and then it's going to get powdercoated by them, while it's there.

Thanks for the advice and input.

Fred

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Subscribed! Go Go Go! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 2948 Posts