2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Information
Price $800
Rating 4
Average Price $818.25
Manufacturer Teraflex
Recommended Yes: 12 / No: 0

The Tera Low231 conversion kit is the solution for providing Wranglers, Cherokees, and Comanches with
low crawl ratios. This kit provides rock-crawling performance without affecting high range gears for daily drivers, or the trip to and from the back country.

It provides a true 4.0:1 reduction through a heavy duty 5 gear planetary system. Every part in this kit is new, with no core charges. Shift linkage and drive shaft length changes are not necessary.

The Tera Low231's high input torque rating will handle extreme torque applications. Each Low231 is covered with our exclusive two-year warranty.

The Tera Low231 is compatible with the 2WD Low-Range Shift kit (2204000), the TeraLow Extreme Short Shaft kit (#4444400), and the Short Shaft kit (#4444401).

Note: Because these low-range gear sets increase torque by up to 50 percent,some large or high-performance engines may contribute to premature drive train failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Price $800
Rating 5
Pros Lower crawling ratio & more torque
Cons Cost is a bit high
Recommended yes

Comments: This is by far my favorite mod. I don't have to worry about stalling or not having enough power to climb up a steep incline, or slowly crawl on rocks. It was easy to install and the new crawl ratio is awesome!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Price $850
Rating 5
Pros crawl ratio
Cons spendy but worth it
Recommended yes

Comments: :D Very happy with this mod. Stalling on the trail is pretty much a thing of the past. Highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Price $1
Pros Very low gearing!
Cons A little on the loud side.
Recommended yes

Comments: I purchased my TJ with the Tera Low already in the Jeep. It makes 4low very very low. Using the gas in 1st gear 4low is not necessary! I usually crawl very rocky trails in 4low using minimal gas and keeping the rev's low. I would definitely recommend to someone who is not into extreme wheeling that would require the Atlas t-case!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Price $1198
Pros Awesome crawling ratio and power.
Cons Noise
Recommended yes

Comments: Excellent power booster for the trail. You'll love it

·
Jeep Connoisseur
17 Posts
Price $700
Pros This is a must have.
Cons Cant compete with atlas II, but who's got the money for that?
Recommended yes

Comments: came with the sye, love it, 4:1, awsome.... :)
nothing like going 1mph at 3000rpm

·
RIP one good jeeper
20,445 Posts
Price $300
Pros Gear reduction is significant
Cons Apparently there are problems with high rpm
Recommended yes

Comments: One of the best purchases I've made. On craigslist I bought the entire transfercase with this and the SYE installed for $300. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Price $800
Rating 4
Pros Cheapest and easiest way of getting 4:1 in your rig
Cons As others have said it is noisy, but I thought it was kinda cool.
Recommended yes

Comments: Installed it earlier this year, did the rubicon with a stock 231 and my stickshift a few years back it was quite frankly a pain (4.10s and 33s). Stalling all the time and way too fast for the technical stuff. Just got back from the rubicon with the same jeep and the teralow was a dream. Worked well and had so much more slow speed control. The clutch thanked me.

So far so good, one of the best mods to date :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Price $1000
Pros A FRIGGIN MAZING
Cons NONE
Recommended yes

Comments: CRAWLS LIKE A BEAST!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Price $1200
Pros Went together easy and no noticeable whine.
Cons Still have chain to worry about but still cheaper than a atlas.
Recommended yes

Comments: Installed easy and fit as it should along with working with the SYE

·
Registered
81 Posts
Price $1069.99
Pros Great gearing ratio of 4:1 that makes all the difference
Cons Strength of the case could be stronger
Recommended yes

Comments: Really makes a big difference and is probably the single biggest help to getting up any hill - even more so that having lockers. I did however have a bent driveshaft and the vibration at highway speeds caused the case to literally explode into two pieces. Worked well enough however that I replaced it and it's been working like a champ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Comments: Is this still working well with you guys. I read that it whined a lot and that it couldnt hold up to the punishment, thus they would blow up countless times. I looked more into it and spoke with a guy from teraflex in Moab and he said that was the reason it was discontinued. It's no longer up for sale and there are no plans to re-vamp production. Is it still working for you guys?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.