Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tell me what you think about the new project

26995 Views 306 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  cjdogtoy
OK folks tell me what you think. I just got this today.

1976 cj-5 258-I6, t-18-1a, not sure on the transfer but I think it's stock, dana 30 up front, amc 20 in back. 3-4 inch lift springs on 32's

It came with a warn 8274 winch, acme hard top and doors , soft top and doors, bikini top, brand new seats up front ratty seat in back (wasn't installed), 4 jerry cans, a full size mechanics tool box from mac tools, a one bbl. carb installed and a new empi two bbl. in the box, hei ignition, high lift jack, new exhaust from the header back, optima red top battery, swing out tire carrier with space for two gas cans, one bent tie rod and in need of a new paint job.

And the thing that makes me happy is that even after spending 3 hours crawling over every inch of this thing there is not one spot of rust any were, not on the body or frame I even used a light and looked inside the frame and it is 100% rust free :highfive::highfive:

I know I need pics, and I've taken them, I just can't figure out how to get them up here.:confused:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
why would anybody sell their tools
y

All tools in the box were probably purchased and used to keep the Jeep running....no more Jeep...no more tools! HAHA...that box is SWEET though! I can imagine hooking a tow rig to it and just bringing it everywhere you take the Jeep....break down and you've got everything you need with you...

Nice Jeep...looking forward to seeing it come along.

Cheers.

· Premium Member
2,041 Posts
That tire carrier looks very similar to the photo in my old Kayline brochure. Nice Jeep & Tools! Great Find! Good luck with your purchase.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

last night I went for little joy ride and blew out the heater hose. So I had to bypass it on the side of the road.

today I spent the day rearranging the garage to get the tool box in,tomorrow I'll correct the heater hose.

thanks for all the responses and here are some more pics.

also can someone tell me witch transfer case that is? thanks

Attachments

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the plans are to replace the tie rod, fab some good bumpers with a swing out tire carrier on back to get all that weight of the back of the body. rebuild the rear drive shaft, replace the coolant reservoir. u-pol raptor the inside black and the outside clear color matched to the bug next to it, then on component at a time replace every seal on the jeep.

Attachments

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my ds has probably been that way for a while and what has happened is dirt gets into the slip joint and it wares really bad, that makes it loose and sloppy, which then allows it to spin out of balance, which causes vibration and extra were on u-joints and yokes. if not replaced or rebuilt it will ultimately fail when going down the road, if it brakes at the back it will just spin around tearing up the entire back of the jeep(think big hammer spinning like weed eater) if it breaks up front it will also spin around and destroy everything in reach but just for fun if it hits the ground while you are still moving forward the entire jeep gets shot into the air (think pole vault at 55mpr. been know to total vehicles and kill people) hope that explains it I personally plan on replacing it not rebuilding it once the slip joint is worn the metal is gone and it will never be rite.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.