Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Jeep JK. When I say new I mean its got less than 1000 miles on it. Its been a while since I've been off road. To be honest most of my off roading has been getting to fishing holes in Canada and NC. Never been off roading in WA. I'm thinking of taking it to Tahuya the weekend of the 18th-19th to get the feel of it. Obviously I have very limited recovery items right now. Is it necessary to get a second rig to go along? Or is this so easy I'd have to do something really silly to get stuck? I'd like to camp there with the kid overnight and understand there is primitive camping there. I have a discovery pass, do I need a NW Forest Pass too?

Sometime this summer I'd like to do Naches pass. I understand that run is doable with a stock JK.

Thanks for any help or advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fortune Creek is another good area for a beginner. I'll probably be heading up there June 15-19

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just got a new Jeep JK. When I say new I mean its got less than 1000 miles on it. Its been a while since I've been off road. To be honest most of my off roading has been getting to fishing holes in Canada and NC. Never been off roading in WA. I'm thinking of taking it to Tahuya the weekend of the 18th-19th to get the feel of it. Obviously I have very limited recovery items right now. Is it necessary to get a second rig to go along? Or is this so easy I'd have to do something really silly to get stuck? I'd like to camp there with the kid overnight and understand there is primitive camping there. I have a discovery pass, do I need a NW Forest Pass too?

Sometime this summer I'd like to do Naches pass. I understand that run is doable with a stock JK.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Tahuya just needs a discovery pass. Ive been needing to get my newest rig out to play so pm me if you want someone to go with

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tahuya is very doable for a stock JK - I've done just about everything there with my near stock YJ. I wouldn't worry too much about going alone to Tahuya because it's such a busy place especially on the weekends. If you do need a hand typically there is someone nearby that can help, though it's a good idea to at least have your own recovery strap, so that the helper doesn't have to get theirs dirty. Camping is done in the parking lot, and make sure to lock up your vehicles and hide anything that might be tempting to thieves; because of the popularity there have been a lot of theft in the last couple years.

The Naches area is a lot of fun to explore, but on that one I would definitely recommend a buddy with recovery gear who knows the area. There is a lot of things you can do in a stock Jeep but getting lost is something that anybody can do. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I did pick-up a recovery strap (ARB 2 1/8 inch 8000 kg), two 3/4 inch D shackles and threw my e-tool and a pair of gloves in a pelican case for a recovery kit. Thanks for the advice on Naches. I've heard conflicting reports and definitely won't do that solo my 1st time. Some says its easy some say its a winch fest. I suspect it depends on what side you approach from and how wet it is. I looks fun and has some history to it. I'd like to turn my kid loose with the metal detector and see what he comes up with at some of the Longmire Wagon Train sites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went up there the 18th and lucky for me Quadrapaws was hosting a poker run there that weekend. Met some great folks and have plans to meet them there again on the 2nd. My kid the dog and I had a blast.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I will be roaming around the Little Naches trail system on the 2nd of July all day. I'll be on Kaner, Shoestring, Tripod, Tipover, Lily Pond and Manashtash Ridge trail.

·
Registered
380 Posts
new to the area and just recently got a 14 JK to replace my 04 from a few years ago, I've been looking at this trail (tahuya) since we got to the area and would love to get out there to test my rig out (mildly since I as well don't have recovery equipment YET)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 1st Saturday of every month Quadra Paws does a new comers run there. They run different ability groups. Trails are really easy. There is a rock garden too if you want more of a challenge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wheeled Tahuya in a stock XJ last month. Ran into a few other people. You should be fine. Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts