Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance from someone who hopefully has more knowledge about jeeps than I do. My dad purchased a CJ5 this spring and I have been helping him fix it up. It was very abused as a trail jeep. We've come to the transmission part of the project, well we did some time back but we were waiting on parts. This is what he believes to be '71 CJ5 with an AMC 304 and T14 transmission. The gears in the transmission are trashed and I took it out and intended to rebuild it. The problem we have run into is we can't find a cluster gear anywhere. Everyone we ordered has been canceled due to it being discontinued. So I'm looking into options for a swap. I've been looking on forums and the Novak website for what his best option is for a swap. Best for him being easiest/cheapest that will stand up to the 304. He won't be beating on it but I also don't want it to be a large liability for him.

I usually work with European cars so I don't have the knowledge off hand of what would fit with what. Is there an option for him without swapping the rear end? Anything that will use his Transfer Case? He has a Dana 18. I'll be continuing my research but I was hoping someone may have tackled this project already and could lend me some advice.

Thank you

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
A couple of things....
A 71 won't have a 304. That engine came out in the 72 model year (which could still be produced in late 71), which required a longer frame to accommodate it and the AMC I 6.

Also, the T14 wasn't offered behind the V8, only the V6 (pre 72) and the I 6 (72-75). All of that aside, the T14 was a weak transmission at best.

Your options are, stock:
T15. This was the stock transmission behind the 72-75 V8. Excellent tranny, however, both they and their parts are getting scarce.
T150. Another excellent three speed that came stock in 76 and later CJ's. You will need a later bellhousing to get the bolt pattern to match up. Still very doable.
T176. Stock cast iron four speed option. Very reliable and still available. This too will require a later bellhousing.
Both the T150 and the T176 are Tremac transmissions, which are Ford products.
T18. Expensive, but virtually unbreakable. They come in two first gear ratios. There will be various modifications to get one to fit.
I wouldn't contemplate any of the newer stock aluminum four or five speed transmissions behind the V8.

There is a plethora of other transmissions that can be swapped in. The expense and effort goes up now. I suggest you visit the Novak knowledge portal for other alternatives and the adapters needed to get them in there.

Edit:
Just reread your post. The D18 T case wasn't offered in 72. My guess is somebody dropped a V8 in to a 71 V6 CJ. This makes a difference as the frames are shorter, which may negate some of the longer transmission options. You need to identify what you are working with before deciding on any options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts