Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi.
With the jeep being loaded with gear/passengers the suspension sags significantly to the point where the bump stops are almost touching in the rear.
Springs carry weight. You need stiffer springs. The question is which ones.

Do you know what exact springs you have?

I want a good suspension setup that handles trails with whoops and rocks even when loaded with gear.
Of course. What you have isn't working. Your Jeep probably has stinkbug squat something fierce.

there has to be something that allows me to drive on these trails at a reasonable speed.
The right spring would fix your problem.

It's a little late to dry weigh your rig pre modified now, but if I were you, I'd check your tire pressure (so it's exactly the same) take your rig to a truck scale and weight the front and rear axles without the camping gear in it, and measure from the ground to a spot on the front and the rear (marked with a piece of tape on the fender or a scribe mark or something) and write it all down.

Then I'd go load the camping gear up, recheck the tire pressure, measure the ride height again, and recheck the ride heights and write that all down

So, it'd be

Tire Pressure Empty (Front/Rear)
Ride Height Empty (Front/Rear)
Axle Weight Empty (Front/Rear)

And repeat loaded.

If you post up that data, I'll gladly do the calculations for you so you know what your installed spring rate actually is.

Then you can call around and find someone who will sell you the right springs for your loaded application.

Good luck.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What have you got against a system
that adapts the suspension
according to the terrain please Craig?
All the air bag does is raise the spring rate. More air = more spring rate.

It DOES NOT adapt unless you change the pressure.

I worked in medium truck for a while and they use airbags on trailers and rear axles, or at least they did when I was around them. Not two springs.

Why not just put the right spring in it and be done?

Reactions: Delta0

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you go with new higher-rated springs, make sure your shocks are valved to match so they effectively control the spring.
Airbags (air springs) need a different shock valving than a regular coil spring.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just to clarify - what I am referring to as an "air bag" in this thread are the AirLift helper springs that are inserted inside the existing coil, not replacements for the coil.

Furthermore, I would agree with a higher spring rate if this is a regular issue for the OP. In my case, towing and hauling gear up north 6-8x a year isn't enough for me to change my ride quality overall. The load assist bags serve my purpose just fine....
We are on the same page.

How much do you ballast up your WJ (in pounds)? If you know?

If you need an air bag (air lift coil spring) to handle the additional load, you have enough load on there that I'd consider figuring out your axle weights empty and full, and recalculating your tire pressure accordingly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts