Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WJ 4.7
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the IRO 4" long arm kit with Bilstein 5100s and 33" tires. Bump stops are new OEM style and I have the appropriate length bump-stop extensions installed. I have the spare tire and a jerry can mounted on the rear bumper, a winch bumper up front, so the rig is already pretty heavy.
With the jeep being loaded with gear/passengers the suspension sags significantly to the point where the bump stops are almost touching in the rear. As soon as I started wheelin on a mild trail my bump stops quickly failed. Both of the rear stops split and were falling apart. Shocks didn't seem to be doing a good job, but with the suspension sagging the way it was I'm not sure they could help with metal-on-metal bottoming out and soaking up the bumps. The metal-on-metal contact occurs in the rear between the bumpstop extension (frame-side) and the bump-stop mount/socket on the axle where a new bumpstop used to exist before getting torn apart. I had to slow down significantly just to get through the trail without feeling metal-on-metal contact. Even at single digit speeds I felt hard impacts in my rear suspension. Meanwhile my buddies are going 30+ on the same trail with no issues.

So here is my question. I want a good suspension setup that handles trails with whoops and rocks even when loaded with gear. I know I wont get trophy truck type performance here, but there has to be something that allows me to drive on these trails at a reasonable speed.
What do I need to buy? Stiffer/progressive springs? Spring spacers? Stiffer shocks? Different bump stops? Air-bags? I'm not on a tight budget.

Let me know, Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the IRO 4" long arm kit with Bilstein 5100s and 33" tires. Bump stops are new OEM style and I have the appropriate length bump-stop extensions installed. I have the spare tire and a jerry can mounted on the rear bumper, a winch bumper up front, so the rig is already pretty heavy.
With the jeep being loaded with gear/passengers the suspension sags significantly to the point where the bump stops are almost touching in the rear. As soon as I started wheelin on a mild trail my bump stops quickly failed. Both of the rear stops split and were falling apart. Shocks didn't seem to be doing a good job, but with the suspension sagging the way it was I'm not sure they could help with metal-on-metal bottoming out and soaking up the bumps. The metal-on-metal contact occurs in the rear between the bumpstop extension (frame-side) and the bump-stop mount/socket on the axle where a new bumpstop used to exist before getting torn apart. I had to slow down significantly just to get through the trail without feeling metal-on-metal contact. Even at single digit speeds I felt hard impacts in my rear suspension. Meanwhile my buddies are going 30+ on the same trail with no issues.

So here is my question. I want a good suspension setup that handles trails with whoops and rocks even when loaded with gear. I know I wont get trophy truck type performance here, but there has to be something that allows me to drive on these trails at a reasonable speed.
What do I need to buy? Stiffer/progressive springs? Spring spacers? Stiffer shocks? Different bump stops? Air-bags? I'm not on a tight budget.

Let me know, Thanks.
gonna need a bigger boat/truck...

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
Sounds like you need stiffer springs to me. Or if you like the ride solo sans gear, you need an adjustable spring rate via adjustable coil overs or some load assist bags to adjust when you are loaded down. That is, of course, assuming all your current components are in good repair. I run AirLift bags, but I also have a stock ride height. I can run 2000Lbs of firewood and gear in the back with the bags at 30psi. While I do see some sag, on my 120mi ride to my land up north I don't touch the bump stops once. But you also have to keep in mind this is not what load assist bags are for - they are to control sag, sway, and bounce - they make no claims of increasing capacity. My application is TOTALLY wrong - my stock suspension is still only rated for the OEM 1000Lbs....

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
I'll add that 1000Lbs factory rated capacity INCLUDES you and your passengers. 5 big guys in there and your probably at capacity. Add in gear, winch bumpers, spare parts/tools/recovery/fuel, and you are already over capacity.....

·
Registered
2002 WJ 4.7
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you need stiffer springs to me. Or if you like the ride solo sans gear, you need an adjustable spring rate via adjustable coil overs or some load assist bags to adjust when you are loaded down. That is, of course, assuming all your current components are in good repair. I run AirLift bags, but I also have a stock ride height. I can run 2000Lbs of firewood and gear in the back with the bags at 30psi. While I do see some sag, on my 120mi ride to my land up north I don't touch the bump stops once. But you also have to keep in mind this is not what load assist bags are for - they are to control sag, sway, and bounce - they make no claims of increasing capacity. My application is TOTALLY wrong - my stock suspension is still only rated for the OEM 1000Lbs....
Do you have any recommendations? I can't find much for the WJ. I found claytons 4.5" coils that have a 225 lb rate. IRO rate for their 4" coils is 180. I'd rather stay at 4" since I'm already having mild driveline vibes.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I dont have a trailer hitch and don't want one. I pack minimal gear but with two other friends the overall weight gets pretty heavy.
If that's a total of 3 in the car, if you pack the heaviest stuff over the 2 unoccupied seats rather than behind the axle, then you will have less weight on your back axle.

Weight behind the back axle unloads the front axle reducing it's grip whilst increasing the weight on the back axle by more than it's actual weight.

Put another way, weight behind the rear axle unloads the front springs and loads the back springs.

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
Do you have any recommendations?
Not on springs. I'm on my 4 or 5th WJ, all stock height. I do see some trails and plenty of mud/snow, but have never had the need or desire to lift. So I can't offer a direct product recommendation, perhaps someone else lifted will eventually chime in here.

As far as bags go, AirLift has no off the the shelfs kits for lifted trucks, but they do have a number you can call and they may have a kit designed for another vehicle that might fit your aftermarket springs. There's also load leveling shocks (Monroe has a set) that come with a smaller coil spring over them to be used in conjunction with the existing coil spring, but again they are designed for factory ride height. You'd have to spec out your own or talk to the manufacturer. Finally a company called Michigan Truck Spring that makes supplemental "helper springs" and heavy duty replacement springs, but yet again you'd have to talk to them.

That's about all I can offer. Wait for a better bite here, or go fetch! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Do you have any recommendations? I can't find much for the WJ. I found claytons 4.5" coils that have a 225 lb rate. IRO rate for their 4" coils is 180. I'd rather stay at 4" since I'm already having mild driveline vibes.
Are you getting 4" loaded up? Been through this on my ZJ, which I load heavily, and ended up with 3.5" coils and a 1" spacer to net ~3" lift.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Put some Air ride bags in; that's what they are designed for, cheap and easy, either install an inflation/deflation system with on board compressor and a switch or do it the old fashioned way with a Schrader valve. They are not designed to lift but to increase spring weight capacity. My dad uses them on his wj so he can maneuver his 3axel car hualer around rather than use the RV.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Two times a year over pack and run Dusy ershem 5 days 32 miles gear water parts tool. And Rubicon we take longer its a 2 day trail at 19 miles my way is like 26. but we stay in places extra days. jeep can be about 1.5" lower at least. my lift no gear just normal desert day wheeling. is about 4.5" 11" shocks sits desert at 5.5 up and 5.5 down. but you wont see 30 mph out there anyway. low range all the way. have the winch ready.....

I have done some faster off road depends on what. our county roads you can do 55 more but it gets rather dusty. unimproved roads i can run wash board rather well. dips, whoops and the rest well even though a pig can fly with enough thrust when they hits something its still bacon..

they make better jounce systems for the go fast people. they make them for that jeep?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Do you have a 4 link rear or just SA? I have a IRO 3" on stock arms 32s and I hauled a f ton of bricks a few months ago and it sagged but not to the point I was bottoming out. I had around 2k+ on the trailer. Even when I loaded up a couple hundred pounds of cement and stone in the back I didn't have any issues with bottoming out. I've taken my rig with some weight wheeling I've never had issues. I guess what I'm getting at is it seems odd that with camping gear it would sag that much and be an issue. I know it would suck but have you taken off the coils of shocks to make sure nothing is wrong? Maybe a shock failed or there's an issue with a coil. Really shouldn't have the issue you described with your set up.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I like the air bag idea. Keeps you at ~4" all the time, no matter what the load. Then you can set the driveshaft pinion angles dead on for 4" and minimize the vibes.
The bumpstop extensions may be a bit too long. Try some high dollar offroad shocks that maximize suspension travel, making sure they ride in the sweet spot for 4".

·
Registered
2002 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7
174 Posts

Let me know, Thanks.
[
who did the work to put the 4" lift on your wj? id find out if you got what you paid for in springs and if the installer used the new springs ! with a 4 " lift long arm kit i guess you don't have to concern yourself with the A arm or the bushings. i got squirrely on the road loaded up and found my A arm above the diff rusted and was just not connected. can't help you out without some photos showing the 4 " lift long arm kit installed...but it would P.M.Off if i had put in a 4" lift kit and it sagged. are the shocks the correct ones for the 4" lift long arm kit. go back to the installer and ask whats up.. some how you got taken, either springs or shocks are not correct.

if i had the issue your describing i get orre coil over nitrogen filled shocks that you the owner adjusts the amount of nitrogen filled into each shock. although it is a big set up to do with special bracing needed welding and alot of extras...$$$$$

1 - 20 of 57 Posts