Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Suspension squeaking alot

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tommudd 
#1 ·
I bought our 2003 Jeep Liberty about 2 years ago. It had sat on a lot for maybe 3 or 4 years I think although the registration and taxes were all up to date. I noticed immediately that it squeaked and groaned quite a bit when steering left or right or going over speed bumps or potholes and dips.

About a month and a half ago, one of the ball joints failed. I really had no idea about how suspension worked, nor did I realize that the ball joints were worn or exposed. I replaced both bottom ball joints and replaced the upper control arms with a pair that allow for replacement of the ball joint. I have greased both bottom joints, and it appears that both top joints were pre-greased.

This has not stopped the squeaking however. It continues unabated.

An interesting item of note, on the right hand upper control arm, I found that the hole through the ball joint stem does not appear to be close enough to the steering knuckle. The pin is in, but just barely and there is still a tiny bit of space between the steering knuckle and the control arm (there is a pretty thick washer there, but it doesn't quite take up enough space). I have attached a photo to show the problem.

Toward the top of the image, just below the blue rubber on the ball joint, there is a little metal visible meaning that the ball joint is not fully seated and secured. As I said, the pin in in the hole and the castle nut is secured, but I don't think I can tighten it any more without clearing the pin.

See less See more
#2 ·
The JBA UCAs do not come pregreased, should of been done as soon as you installed them. They do come with a very small film just to keep from rusting etc

One issues is the springs are sagged quite a bit from the picture, so assume the shocks are worn out as well
Lot of times squeaks/ moans come from the sway bar bushings, clean them good and see what that does

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.