Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 4dr Wrangler. "Desert driving and riding". I am not a big rock crawler and do not neccesarily plan to be, but I don't want any obstacles to stop me because I am not properly equipped.

I am sitting bone stock right now on 32's.

I was orginally planning on going 33's because I have to drive this to commute in as well but 'everyone' is telling me 35's at minimum, especially on the 4drs.

I do mostly desert dirt and sand.

What is the smoothest riding suspension you all reccomend in your experience. My buddies are telling me Fab Tec 6" Long arm life. Others are reccomending a 5" ICON, or Rubicon lift.

My jeep lift experience is from the early 80's where they rode much more stiff than this 07 Wrangler.

I am looking to traverse anywhere I want in the desert and get some long travel smoothness out of my Jeep.

Enough running my suck; What do you good folks reccomend?

Thank you for taking the time.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
A long arm with really good shocks or coilovers if you like to go fast. The control arms are all about the same with maybe different ends, but they can all be changed out as well... it really comes down to the shocks that make the ride quality. I would also keep it at around 3-4" lift if your only going to run 35"s max. Keeping center of gravity low will also help the ride.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just to chip in...

I had a Skyjacker 2" budget lift installed recently, consisting of spacers (retaining the existing Sahara springs) and 4 new Skyjacker shocks.
The ride has remained the same, which in my opinion is too harsh. I figured getting new springs would help the ride but should I be looking at replacing the shocks instead?

Many thanks, sorry for thread hijack!

Cleggy.

·
What was I thinking?
2008 JKU
6,244 Posts
I started with the RC 2½" BB with their 2.2 shocks.
In this configuration the ride was definitely more harsh.
I have since changed to the O.M.E. Heavy springs and still have the RC shocks!
The heavy spring seem to be a better match with the stiffer shocks because the ride quality has improved greatly :thumbsup:
So I would have to say that good ride quality comes from the combination of shock and spring, not one or the other!

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
My vote for the best ride on a moderate lift is the OME 2.5" HD with Nitrocharger shocks. That lift gave me over 3 inches total. I will ditto the "keep the lift moderate" theme and avoid suspension geometry problems associated with lifts over about 3.5 inches...no need IMO to go with long arm on a JK at this lift as the arms are already a lot longer than the TJs of past...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Going beyond about 3" can open a Pandora's box of required additional mods. You will most likely need at least a front drive shaft at about 3.5". Going up more just means more madatory mods to make things work right or work reliably.

As far as lifts to accomodate 35" tires and provide a great ride, I would suggest AEV's 3.5" lift. The drop brackets for the front upper and lower control arms move the angles of the arms to all but equal the angles on a long arm which should be a better set up imo than adjustable arms in the stock rear mount locations as far as ride goes. The lift comes with Bilstien shocks, which are a substantial upgrade over stock. Plus the whole kit is a lot less expensive than a long arm.

In addition, rather than the standard bumpstops, perhaps the shock absorbing ones. Having a brain cramp at the moment and cannot recall the name of the bumpstops or who makes them, but for fast travel over whoops and unmaintained roads and two tracks these ought to be perfect.

Throw in Currie spring retainers so that when the Jeep unloads the springs stay put.

A/T tire rather than M/T tire for the ride, noise, tread life and because rock crawling isn't the main plan.

My thoughts,

JPK

·
Registered
646 Posts
DragonRider,
I built a JK for the exact purpose you describe. There are a lot of different ways to run 35" tires, but if you want the best ride quality a long arm lift will work better, and a lower lift height works better than a taller lift does. The Jeep I built is working phenomenally well. Here is the link to a write up I did about it, so you can see what I did, and why.

2010 Rubicon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, I just joined this forum yesterday and this was my first post. You all ROCK! Thank you for the massive amount of helpful information. MUCH appreciated.

Would I be smoking crack to run this beast on 33's or 34's, or do you all prescribe to the 35's minimum on the 4 drs?

Thank you again!

Off to read MoparToYou's link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.