Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 674 Posts

·
Arrogant SOB
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my first project, and with a 2nd coming up soon, I decided it was about time I started a build thread.

The first install was pretty easy, so I have only include "after" pictures. Everyone know what stock Rubicon bumpers look like, so I won't bore anyone with that. I installed front and rear bumpers from Poison Spyder Customs, both of them are from the Rock Brawler line. Also, I installed a Warn 9.5cti winch. Went with this one because is is supposedly the most water resistant winch on the market right now. The installation instructions were so complete and thorough, I haven't posted any pictures of the process, just the final product. The bumpers are high quality, welds look perfect, and they are extremely strong, I feel like I'd warp the frame before the bumpers would ever be damaged. So, on to the pictures:

Full front:

1/4 front:

Front side:

Winch:

Rear:

Rear 1/4:

Rear side:

·
Arrogant SOB
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Dilemma...

So, bumpers installed? check.
Winch installed? check.
Crap! Stubby bumper with a huge trail stinger makes my stock rubi look TINY!
Solution? Build.

So I put together my parts list, and placed orders for:
*Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid-Arm Flex kit
*Rock Krawler 2.0 Emulsion shocks
*XD Series 778 Monster rims (black) 18"x9"
*Nitto Trail Grappler's 35"x12.5" R18
*Superior Axle 4.88 gears for Dana44
*Poison Spyder Bombshell front and rear differential covers
*Poison Spyder evap. skid plate kit
*Superchips programmer
*Teraflex 3rd brake light extension kit

Unfortunately, there is a back order on the diff covers, and I won't get them until mid to late October :( Everything else should be in by the end of the month. I've decided to go ahead and install the lift and rim/tire combo. Since it's a rubi, the stock 4.10's should hold up fine for a few weeks until my new diff covers come in. I'll just have to resist the urge to stay off the trails until I can re-gear. Ideally, I would have done the gear swap on one weekend, and then done the lift kit on the next, but I'm not going to take the diff covers off twice.

Will post more when parts arrive!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Honestly you should be fine on the trail with 4:10s and 35s until the 4.88s come in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Love the front bumper. Just put on PSC Brawler lite with bar and rear Brawler with tire carrier. Like you said I feel like it would bend the frame rails before it damaged the bumpers. They are SOLID!

Great looking Jeep. Good luck with the build.

·
Arrogant SOB
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love the front bumper. Just put on PSC Brawler lite with bar and rear Brawler with tire carrier. Like you said I feel like it would bend the frame rails before it damaged the bumpers. They are SOLID!

Great looking Jeep. Good luck with the build.
I almost got the Brawler lite, looks like a great system. I'd love to see some pics of it installed on your rig.

·
Disclaimer: I'm Polish
7,703 Posts
This is true....but it is definitely a testament to how well made the PSC products are.
Don't fool yourself - bent gussets, cracked welds (PSC brawler lite):

Still a good bumper, but it will be much better after I have rewelded, added extra gussets, and go easier on it because I'm now off the kool-aid.

Subscribed - look forward to your build :cheers2:

Mike

Edit: Also - your 4.10s are just fine with your 6-speed on the trail (your rock-trac TC will do plenty) and road, provided your A/C is turned off before accellerating from a stop. Have been running on mine for a few big trips, and driven about 9500-10000 miles since december over the road. That being said, my 5.13s were just ordered, so cheers to you for getting it done early :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts

How did you bend that? Please don't reply: "I applied more pressure than the material could withstand." haha, did you use the stinger as a stinger? I'm looking for someone that's actually used a stinger the way it was intended to be used.

·
7,703 Posts
cbloyer81 said:
How did you bend that? Please don't reply: "I applied more pressure than the material could withstand." haha, did you use the stinger as a stinger? I'm looking for someone that's actually used a stinger the way it was intended to be used.
A felled tree...it was used as it is meant to be used, but only gusseted well enough to make it look good. Winch mount (behind brawler bar) bent about 30 * past 90...damaged a crappy Chinese winch

·
Arrogant SOB
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dwood0125 - I'll post some pics but the one you chose is awesome. After your build I'm thinking your only regret will be not getting the rear tire carrier. It is great for tires that are 35" +.
I've thought about that, I really waffled on the tire carrier before I ordered. I decided to run the extension kit for the factory mount, and 3rd brake light extension kit from teraflex. Good news is if I don't like the extension kit, PSC will sell me the tire carrier, I'll just have to weld on the bracket for the latch....and of course, waste money on a 2nd powder coat and shipping.

·
Arrogant SOB
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Molshove - surprised to see that. Went back out, and the stinger definitely looks like it is the weak link. Going to look at adding some tube from the rear of the stinger to the top rear of the bumper. Just bought a welder, so It would be nice to do something worth while with it!

·
7,703 Posts
dwood0125 said:
Molshove - surprised to see that. Went back out, and the stinger definitely looks like it is the weak link. Going to look at adding some tube from the rear of the stinger to the top rear of the bumper. Just bought a welder, so It would be nice to do something worth while with it!
That's exactly what I had in mind :cheers2: let me know what you end up doing!

Edit: or I can play guinea pig, being that your is still shining and mines been beat on...duh lol

·
Arrogant SOB
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Still a good bumper, but it will be much better after I have rewelded, added extra gussets, and go easier on it because I'm now off the kool-aid.

Subscribed - look forward to your build :cheers2:

Mike

Edit: Also - your 4.10s are just fine with your 6-speed on the trail (your rock-trac TC will do plenty) and road, provided your A/C is turned off before accellerating from a stop. Have been running on mine for a few big trips, and driven about 9500-10000 miles since december over the road. That being said, my 5.13s were just ordered, so cheers to you for getting it done early :thumbsup:
That's exactly what I had in mind :cheers2: let me know what you end up doing!

Edit: or I can play guinea pig, being that your is still shining and mines been beat on...duh lol
Well here it is. The stinger/brawler bar is the weak link. One well placed piece of tube per. side will correct the issue. What we need is a replicable part. Looks like I've got some work to do while I'm waiting for parts to come in.:cheers2:

·
Arrogant SOB
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
like the jeep! cool to see somebody else from mass. got anymore pics?
This is all I have posted for now. Big install coming up in about 2 weeks, and I'll be sure to post a lot more during/after that. Right now its just a stock rubi with some bumpers and a winch:thumbdown:

I saw your jeep on the "what did you do today..." thread, looks great. We should get together for some wheeling before we're covered in snow!

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is all I have posted for now. Big install coming up in about 2 weeks, and I'll be sure to post a lot more during/after that. Right now its just a stock rubi with some bumpers and a winch:thumbdown:
Bumper looks good... whatcha got planned???

1 - 20 of 674 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.