Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Must be getting used to the tune. It only pinged once yesterday at WOT, over 4000 ft, on a REALLY steep uphill.

The Superchips shiftpoints are ultra-smooth and make the Jeep drive-able.
But with bumpers, winch, rock-rails, 33s, and 4.56, I lost a little mpg with the 87 octane tune. I'm okay with that since it is just so much more pleasant to drive.

·
Force Wheeler
2,632 Posts
From the factory, The 3.8 runs extreamly lean, why would you want to lean it out more?
I took that differently than you, I thought he was worried about it, not wanting to do it...:confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
That was on the 91 tune. I run Shell 93 in everything I have anyway, so I went ahead onto the 91 tune after trying the 87 for a little while. I was really impressed with what the 91 tune did for the JK, so we left it on that tune.
Why do you run 93 octane in everything especially the jeep before the tuner? I wonder if you would have gotten better gas mileage with 87 octane and the stock tune.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Why do you run 93 octane in everything especially the jeep before the tuner? I wonder if you would have gotten better gas mileage with 87 octane and the stock tune.
I run Shell 93 in everything partially because I have a Shell card that gives me back $.10 for every gallon purchased, negating the cost of premium and also because the 93 octane has a higher nitrogen content and more cleaning additive mixed. This helps keep carbon out of my valves and combustion chambers, keeps the cats cleaner, along with the injectors.

I've torn into a few engines after a lifetime of Shell 93 and was always very impressed with their cleanliness.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If that 93 octane is an ethanol blend, there's a good chance mileage would be better with the 87.
At my local station, the 93 is the only grade without ethanol, at least for now. The 87 is 10%, and the 89/91 is 5% since they merely mix it 50/50 with 93.

The station in the next town over is 10% ethanol across the board, so I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before my station switches. :mad:

·
Registered
219 Posts
At my local station, the 93 is the only grade without ethanol, at least for now. The 87 is 10%, and the 89/91 is 5% since they merely mix it 50/50 with 93.

The station in the next town over is 10% ethanol across the board, so I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before my station switches. :mad:
we dont have gas stations without ethanol anymore. gotta love new york.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
yes im worried about the tuner setting making the engine leaner. The y clai power gain and better MPG. More MPG and power usually = lean , unless the accomplish this with shift points. I need to call them on this. I know with my challenger with the predator tuner the 93 tune ran lean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
been running my flashpaq for 2-3 months now and avg mileage performance tune with 5.13s and 37s is 13.5-14mpg and i drive my jeep hard everywhere. when my wife drives it she can get 15 out of it but she drives the speed limit everywhere. this is alot better then the 10 i was getting without the gears and programmer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just got the tuner yesterday and first step is to update it via the internet...problem #1 i have a mac. so found a freind that was working nights and ran to his house to update it. Come home Problem #2 jeep wouldent take the download 1st or 2nd time. (error code call superchips) I did. Said they would get back to me so thought mabe 3rd time a charm. IT WAS :thumbsup: Went with the quick tune 87 octain. Then off for a test drive. Like everyone else is saying it did give better throttle response and seemed to run out smoother but as far as real horsepower gains dont know about all that. I did fill up on the test drive. I reset the computer which ave. mpg was 19.7 before the tune. so would like to see 20+. It was installed on my 08 unlimited rubicon with the only mods done are a airraid cold air intake 1.5" superlift leveling kit. Also its a 6 speed so dident help the shift points one bit..lol. Also I did not notice any pinging before or after the install.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.