Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
From the Superchips FAQ page:

I've been running the Flashpaq on my 2008 autotranny 2-door for nearly a week and can say that the drive-ability has been monumentally improved for DD life in this twisty/hilly area. With the shiftpoints adjusted and throttle-lag eliminated, it's just so smooth.
I'm running 87 octane with the fan temps adjusted, 4.56 gears & tire size inputted.

It does ping a bit under a hard load and I'm seeing if that's a temporary thing or something that needs more attention.
If it's pinging under hard load, then increase the octane of your fuel as quickly as possible to get that under control before a piston is damaged. The ping will be advanced by the higher IAT (intake air temp) and engine load.

The flashpaq advances timing as far as safely possible "at average temps." I'm assuming summer heat in GA is much higher than "average temps" across the US, much less the rest of the world. :laugh:

In other words, it's not out of the question that 89/91 octane would be required with the Superchips 87 tune during the extreme heat of summer during high engine loads.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
What kind of milege increases, if any, are you guys seeing? I am considering a JK Unlimited and a daily driver and the factory estimated MPG doesn't look too inviting...

Thanks.
When my wife's '08 was bone stock, we added the Flashpaq and received a 2mpg increase in AVG fuel economy both hand calculated and displayed on the cluster.

We've done things since that have harmed the economy such as larger tires, etc.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
was that 2 mpg on the 87 tune, or a higher tune?
That was on the 91 tune. I run Shell 93 in everything I have anyway, so I went ahead onto the 91 tune after trying the 87 for a little while. I was really impressed with what the 91 tune did for the JK, so we left it on that tune.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Why do you run 93 octane in everything especially the jeep before the tuner? I wonder if you would have gotten better gas mileage with 87 octane and the stock tune.
I run Shell 93 in everything partially because I have a Shell card that gives me back $.10 for every gallon purchased, negating the cost of premium and also because the 93 octane has a higher nitrogen content and more cleaning additive mixed. This helps keep carbon out of my valves and combustion chambers, keeps the cats cleaner, along with the injectors.

I've torn into a few engines after a lifetime of Shell 93 and was always very impressed with their cleanliness.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If that 93 octane is an ethanol blend, there's a good chance mileage would be better with the 87.
At my local station, the 93 is the only grade without ethanol, at least for now. The 87 is 10%, and the 89/91 is 5% since they merely mix it 50/50 with 93.

The station in the next town over is 10% ethanol across the board, so I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before my station switches. :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.