Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
From the Superchips FAQ page:

Super Chip said:
Will the Superchips Tuner work with aftermarket modifications?

Typically our tuning is designed to work with basically stock vehicles. Cat back Exhaust are ok Shorty headers are ok on normally aspirated applications Cold Air Intakes are typically ok, but only when the mass air meter is the same distance from the throttle body as with the stock intake. Bigger down pipes on diesels typically work fine except on the 6.0L Ford where the bigger down pipes hurt the low end torque of the motor.
I've been running the Flashpaq on my 2008 autotranny 2-door for nearly a week and can say that the drive-ability has been monumentally improved for DD life in this twisty/hilly area. With the shiftpoints adjusted and throttle-lag eliminated, it's just so smooth.
I'm running 87 octane with the fan temps adjusted, 4.56 gears & tire size inputted.

It does ping a bit under a hard load and I'm seeing if that's a temporary thing or something that needs more attention.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
If it's pinging under hard load, then increase the octane of your fuel as quickly as possible to get that under control before a piston is damaged. The ping will be advanced by the higher IAT (intake air temp) and engine load.

The flashpaq advances timing as far as safely possible "at average temps." I'm assuming summer heat in GA is much higher than "average temps" across the US, much less the rest of the world. :laugh:

In other words, it's not out of the question that 89/91 octane would be required with the Superchips 87 tune during the extreme heat of summer during high engine loads.
We're actually having a cold spell here...

I did mix in a 1/4 tank of 93 octane to no avail. Ron on the Superchips forum says to run higher octane due to my bumpers/winch/rails ----- but even with those, my 2-door is still lighter than an Unlimited. Isn't the tune the same for both models anyhow?
I think it should be retarded a degree or something.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
It pinged on occasion under load when it was stock too; not quite as easily but it did it.

I've got my own little suspicion that it has something to do with the heat under the hood and the temp of the air being fed. Maybe I can free up funds for a snorkel finally.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Must be getting used to the tune. It only pinged once yesterday at WOT, over 4000 ft, on a REALLY steep uphill.

The Superchips shiftpoints are ultra-smooth and make the Jeep drive-able.
But with bumpers, winch, rock-rails, 33s, and 4.56, I lost a little mpg with the 87 octane tune. I'm okay with that since it is just so much more pleasant to drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.