Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after weeks of working with Diablo to update my tuner (and failing) I have decide to send it back and try a Superchips. Kinna disapointed cause now there will be no custom tunes and little reason to get a CAI. Does Superchips have any customs tunes on the tuner that are for the a CAI or are they just 87/91/93? What can I expect from Superchips?

·
Force Wheeler
2,632 Posts
well, I don't know how much customization is available with the flashpaq, but people seem to be getting good results with them...

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am doing test with the superchips as we speak have 13 whole fuel tanks logged with manually calculated mpg...my wife and I feel only a difference on 93 octane. I think the people that feel any results are mainly people with automatic as it helps shift points. No custom programs that incorporate CAIs or after market exhaust.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well after weeks of working with Diablo to update my tuner (and failing) I have decide to send it back and try a Superchips. Kinna disapointed cause now there will be no custom tunes and little reason to get a CAI. Does Superchips have any customs tunes on the tuner that are for the a CAI or are they just 87/91/93? What can I expect from Superchips?
I have one and I like it a lot. You do feel a considerable difference with an auto tranny on the 87 tune as was remarked upon below. Here is a few run downs on what you can do:
- recalibrate speedo for tire size change
- recalibrate gear ratio change AFTER a gear change out
- if you have lockers you can lock in on 4hi
- towing mode, crawling mode and pure milage tune <--(far less response, yet seems to do as it claims)
- manually change shift points to your liking
- increase idle for increased acceleration performance (quick start), and on board compressor, welder, etc.
- custom shift mapping (purchase option from SC)
- onboard diagnostics for monitoring tracktime info (not my cup o tea, but could be useful if you get into stats)
- change electric fan turn on temp point (180*, 185*, etc.)

There is more under advanced options, but I have not played with all of them. If you go to the superchipforum you can see the testimonials and FAQ's and realtime responses. My experience is that the SC support has been top notch. I will admit, the 93 tune has a considerable SOTP difference, but 87 is pretty good Vs. stock. Money well spent in my opinion, but i also have an automatic.

·
Registered
775 Posts
from a custom tune perspective, i see this as a 40$ add-on to the superchips:

"Superchips advanced transmission tuning:
The Superchips advanced trans tuning app is the next evolution in user control allowing precision tuning of the transmission. You can now take full control of a vehicle’s automatic transmission with such options as adjustable shift schedules and trans torque management in full or part throttle applications."

that's from inside their tuner update tool, haven't seen anything about it in use yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got one for my 2010 Rubi. It makes a noticeable difference in throttle response, but that's about it other than changing up your shift points. It was worth it to me just for the throttle response, but don't expect alot from it. It's not like a Spartan DashDaq or Black Maxx, but it's only $300 instead of $1200 so what do you expect.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
From the Superchips FAQ page:

Super Chip said:
Will the Superchips Tuner work with aftermarket modifications?

Typically our tuning is designed to work with basically stock vehicles. Cat back Exhaust are ok Shorty headers are ok on normally aspirated applications Cold Air Intakes are typically ok, but only when the mass air meter is the same distance from the throttle body as with the stock intake. Bigger down pipes on diesels typically work fine except on the 6.0L Ford where the bigger down pipes hurt the low end torque of the motor.
I've been running the Flashpaq on my 2008 autotranny 2-door for nearly a week and can say that the drive-ability has been monumentally improved for DD life in this twisty/hilly area. With the shiftpoints adjusted and throttle-lag eliminated, it's just so smooth.
I'm running 87 octane with the fan temps adjusted, 4.56 gears & tire size inputted.

It does ping a bit under a hard load and I'm seeing if that's a temporary thing or something that needs more attention.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
From the Superchips FAQ page:

I've been running the Flashpaq on my 2008 autotranny 2-door for nearly a week and can say that the drive-ability has been monumentally improved for DD life in this twisty/hilly area. With the shiftpoints adjusted and throttle-lag eliminated, it's just so smooth.
I'm running 87 octane with the fan temps adjusted, 4.56 gears & tire size inputted.

It does ping a bit under a hard load and I'm seeing if that's a temporary thing or something that needs more attention.
If it's pinging under hard load, then increase the octane of your fuel as quickly as possible to get that under control before a piston is damaged. The ping will be advanced by the higher IAT (intake air temp) and engine load.

The flashpaq advances timing as far as safely possible "at average temps." I'm assuming summer heat in GA is much higher than "average temps" across the US, much less the rest of the world. :laugh:

In other words, it's not out of the question that 89/91 octane would be required with the Superchips 87 tune during the extreme heat of summer during high engine loads.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
If it's pinging under hard load, then increase the octane of your fuel as quickly as possible to get that under control before a piston is damaged. The ping will be advanced by the higher IAT (intake air temp) and engine load.

The flashpaq advances timing as far as safely possible "at average temps." I'm assuming summer heat in GA is much higher than "average temps" across the US, much less the rest of the world. :laugh:

In other words, it's not out of the question that 89/91 octane would be required with the Superchips 87 tune during the extreme heat of summer during high engine loads.
We're actually having a cold spell here...

I did mix in a 1/4 tank of 93 octane to no avail. Ron on the Superchips forum says to run higher octane due to my bumpers/winch/rails ----- but even with those, my 2-door is still lighter than an Unlimited. Isn't the tune the same for both models anyhow?
I think it should be retarded a degree or something.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
maybe try uninstalling it and see if it still pings.....if you can actually hear a ping from a engine, that is never a good sign. When I had my wrx I used a tool to detect it after I tried a new tune.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
It pinged on occasion under load when it was stock too; not quite as easily but it did it.

I've got my own little suspicion that it has something to do with the heat under the hood and the temp of the air being fed. Maybe I can free up funds for a snorkel finally.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It pinged on occasion under load when it was stock too; not quite as easily but it did it.

I've got my own little suspicion that it has something to do with the heat under the hood and the temp of the air being fed. Maybe I can free up funds for a snorkel finally.
I 100% agree that this hood holds the heat of the engine in and thus the intake sucks it in. While doing all my gas tank testing(all 13 tanks), I have been monitoring the IAT using the superchips plugged in while driving down the highway. All I have to say is WOW the engine heats up the intake tube and housing thus it then heats the air coming in as it goes through the intake. I would really love to run a test of a my crappy AFE intake temp, versus the stock one. Let me explain. The stock intake although looks restricting is actually smooth on the inside. However the RIBS on the outside act like heat sinks, to help reduce heat(My theory ofcourse). Anyone got a stock intake box would donate to the cause.(I normally never throw anything away but I threw my stock one away-I know I know DumbA**). I have actually been thinking about wrapping the intake tube with exhaust wrap to see what testing differences it would give me especially when combined with a AEV hood. I really would also like to know the IAT temp of people who have a AEV hood, and then also the know the IAT temp of people running both a AEV hood and snorkel, with relatively to the outside air temp ofcourse and how fast your driving and if you are behind someone on the road.

·
Registered
822 Posts
What kind of milege increases, if any, are you guys seeing? I am considering a JK Unlimited and a daily driver and the factory estimated MPG doesn't look too inviting...

Thanks.
I'll be nice, and say that if you are in it with one main focus on MPG then a Wrangler probably isn't going to fullfil your needs and thus you will end up hating wranglers. They are box going threw the wind..... not necessarily aerodynamic.

I achieve 17mpg in the extreme city driving(WITH EXTREMELY Light pedal work) and 19-20mpg with a max of 72mph on a down hill slope. Overall average... around the low side of 18mpg

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
What kind of milege increases, if any, are you guys seeing? I am considering a JK Unlimited and a daily driver and the factory estimated MPG doesn't look too inviting...

Thanks.
When my wife's '08 was bone stock, we added the Flashpaq and received a 2mpg increase in AVG fuel economy both hand calculated and displayed on the cluster.

We've done things since that have harmed the economy such as larger tires, etc.

·
Force Wheeler
2,632 Posts
When my wife's '08 was bone stock, we added the Flashpaq and received a 2mpg increase in AVG fuel economy both hand calculated and displayed on the cluster.

We've done things since that have harmed the economy such as larger tires, etc.
was that 2 mpg on the 87 tune, or a higher tune?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.