Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its no longer even with metal roof but down apx 1/4 inch and i hear wind when driving.

i can mess with the switch and get it about right.
ideas ???

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Mine's done this for years. I'm interested in what people will say.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Have you cleaned the tracks yet?

Perhaps by running your sunroof backwards and forwards a few times?

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
On the inside rails of the sunroof mounts, there are 4 Hex screws that you can remove and they offer some adjustment for where the glass lands.

Stern Warning Here: The sunroof is held to the moving assembly with a plastic carrier on each side that is then moved by the motor via cables. That piece of plastic is nearing 20 years old for many of these WJs and this is your warning to take very special care of the assembly. Specifically, you should remove the glass by pulling those 4 torx bolts and lifting the glass up from above. Then vacuum, then clean any debris from the tracks to ensure that little piece of plastic on the carrier is not being overly stressed. Lubricate the track and any moving parts with light grease, moving the carrier without the glass installed. Do this about every other year. If you experience super cold environments and ever open the roof during those times, use very light grease.

If that carrier breaks, you are screwed and if it breaks with the roof in the open position, it is very difficult to get the glass to move back to the closed position but it can be done. That carrier breaking is also going to screw you because it is not a replaceable item. It is integrated to the entire assembly and under the headliner. The dealer does not have replacement carrier or the entire assembly anymore. The junkyard is your only hope, but those are also 20+ years old and pulling those things down from under the headliner is no picnic. It's not tough and does not require any special tools but it takes a very long time to do and wrestling with that headliner out and back in afterwards is a huge PIA.

So run it back and forth a few times if you want but best to clean the tracks, adjust the glass position as best you can and try to ensure you are not screwed by this bad assembly design.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
advice taken,.
what i wonder is why now?
ive had it 3 yrs... what changed?
im thinking ill get it right and pull the fuse.
i enjoy most the light,dont need air, use windows !!.
my xj i sealed with silicone...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
On the inside rails of the sunroof mounts, there are 4 Hex screws that you can remove and they offer some adjustment for where the glass lands.

Stern Warning Here: The sunroof is held to the moving assembly with a plastic carrier on each side that is then moved by the motor via cables. That piece of plastic is nearing 20 years old for many of these WJs and this is your warning to take very special care of the assembly. Specifically, you should remove the glass by pulling those 4 torx bolts and lifting the glass up from above. Then vacuum, then clean any debris from the tracks to ensure that little piece of plastic on the carrier is not being overly stressed. Lubricate the track and any moving parts with light grease, moving the carrier without the glass installed. Do this about every other year. If you experience super cold environments and ever open the roof during those times, use very light grease.

If that carrier breaks, you are screwed and if it breaks with the roof in the open position, it is very difficult to get the glass to move back to the closed position but it can be done. That carrier breaking is also going to screw you because it is not a replaceable item. It is integrated to the entire assembly and under the headliner. The dealer does not have replacement carrier or the entire assembly anymore. The junkyard is your only hope, but those are also 20+ years old and pulling those things down from under the headliner is no picnic. It's not tough and does not require any special tools but it takes a very long time to do and wrestling with that headliner out and back in afterwards is a huge PIA.

So run it back and forth a few times if you want but best to clean the tracks, adjust the glass position as best you can and try to ensure you are not screwed by this bad assembly design.
Thanks OO for your very useful information.

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
It's possible those torx bolts have loosened or something pushed down on the glass to lower it, overcoming the mechanical grip of the torx bolts. The seal around the glass may be keeping it from closing fully or the entire assembly is loosening from its mounts under the headliner. Those are all fairly unlikely though.
I would at least unbolt the glass and have a look. That won't put anything at risk unless the glass is dropped lol.

Reactions: 3oldjeeps
1 - 7 of 7 Posts