Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Subaru Outback for the wife.

575 17
Some of you might know by now I’m a technician.
We had a 2012 Buick Regal that I got pretty cheap with a blown timing chain. About 2.5 months ago some moron pulled in front of my wife and it was totaled.
I’ve been searching for a Subaru Outback even before this happened and finally found one on Craigslist yesterday a couple hours away in Columbus. Seller disclosed it had the typical blown head gaskets and would get hot...so I gave it a shot and it did get hot but I have a cousin near there and I left it there till I can trailer it home. Hopefully this weekend. It ran and drove good though. I can fix it for a few hundred bucks not counting my labor, but I think $2500 was worth it.
2011 Outback limited edition, original owner and it’s very solid underneath. New tires too. The wife seems pleased, she not thrilled with the Impreza we have now. I buy broken Scooby doos and flip them when I can to fill in when the shop is slow. But this is the keeper I Hope.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design
Car Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle Grille
Reactions: 93YJ4FUN
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,879 Posts
No worries- because I still think that's a great deal on an '11, (whereas you should have been reported for theft if it was '21...) ;)

How Many miles?

We seemingly live in the heartofo Subaru country here in the PNW, they are everywhere (almost as prolific as Jeeps)

I would love to have a subi guru /tech local, I love those cars, and they are pretty reliable when serviced/repaired correctly, but dealership labor rates here are ridiculous.

Hoss

·
Registered
04 TJ
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries- because I still think that's a great deal on an '11, (whereas you should have been reported for theft if it was '21...) ;)

How Many miles?

We seemingly live in the heart od Subaru country here in the PNW, they arw everywhere (almost as prolific as Jeeps)

I would lobe to have a subi guru /tec local, I love those cars, and they are pretty reliable when serviced/repaired correctly, but dealership landlords here is ridiculous.
I worked at a Subaru dealership for a few years way back, they’ve came a long way. I also have a buddy who still does if it get too technical.
250,000 !!!!
But, the seller said the daughter lives in Chicago and the son lives in VA, so mostly highway miles.
The engine sounds really nice, no rattle like some do from the crank bearings at high miles.
Got a truck and trailer lined up for tomorrow to get it and ordered the parts from Rockauto.
$300 for everything but oil and coolant.

·
Registered
04 TJ
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankfully I was on my game Tuesday when all this came together. I called my cousin and got his address and put it in my phone. I had only been there once about 5 years ago. But google found it no problem.
A little bonus OT stuff...
He’s a bit older than me and has been collecting a lot longer. I had this 29 Harley a couple years ago and stripped everything off and had the frame,front end and wheels powder coated for him and reassembled it most of the way and he’s been tinkering with it since. We just missed each other yesterday but his wife said he had it running but needs some more work aka money. He likes scooters too.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Shelf

·
Registered
04 TJ
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the car home and took the trailer back today. Looked at a customer car and called him and ordered parts. Got the Outback up in the air and looked it over good. Very clean underneath especially for an Ohio car. By around 4:30 I started to pull the engine (easiest way to do head gaskets) and around 6:00 I had a motor mount, torque converter bolts and a couple bellhousing bolts to go. Just might have it back in tomorrow depending on when fedex gets here with the parts.

·
Registered
04 TJ
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All done and washed and vacuumed...now it needs detailed.
No more overheating !!
I was rockin and rollin, no time for pictures. It all went pretty smooth, of course I’ve done about a dozen of these in the last few years. The engine is surprisingly easy to pull and this newer model even easier since they moved the mounts back to the transmission so you don’t even need to support it. 👍🏼Only the exhaust, some of the bellhousing bolts and the lower radiator hose is about it underneath, so it probably wouldn’t be too bad without a lift even.

·
Registered
2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic (4dr, 4x4)
149 Posts
Huh, kinda surprised me that the Outbacks had Boxer-4s in them, guess I had always assumed it was an Inline-4 or a V6 like most others... interesting to know!

·
Registered
04 TJ
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huh, kinda surprised me that the Outbacks had Boxer-4s in them, guess I had always assumed it was an Inline-4 or a V6 like most others... interesting to know!
In the late 80s the Subaru Justy came out with a 3cyl and a CVT transmission....
As far as I know, they always have been boxer 4 or 6 cylinder engines. The low center of gravity makes them handle very well.
The Impreza I have takes corners like a slot car along with AWD !!

·
Registered
04 TJ
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It took 2 washes to get it close to presentable ! Still have a good bit of work to do to the interior. Wife hasn’t been this happy with a car since the first time she drove the 88 Eagle wagon in the snow !! 🥰
She’s been driving it all week and I ended up replacing the knock sensor and it passed echeck yesterday. Averaging about 25mpg... 😁
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

·
Registered
44 Posts
Once you have the head gaskets done the AWD Subaru is a darned good car. Especially for snow with proper tires.
My other car is a 1993 Subaru Legacy wagon, and with General Altimax M&S tires it rocks in the snow!
Had mine through Snow-maggedon in Idaho a few years back with zero problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts