Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 94 Sahara with SUA Rubicon Express Extreme 4.5" lift, M.O.R.E. boomarang shackles, Skyjacker quick release swaybar....and generally stock steering other than dropped pitman. I'd like to get a beefer steering setup and just replace the tired links.

M.O.R.E. Stage 2 seems only for SOA. If you have similar to RE Extreme, SUA...and upgraded your steering, what did you do?

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
The whole tie rod and drag link setup. Instead of replacing ends in stock drag link & tie rod, I'd rather upgrade it all to something more substantial.
Did you look at the link?!
It’s a very heavy duty tie rod with upgraded tie rod ends.

THATS PRETTY STINKIN’ SUBSTANTIAL

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,936 Posts
The whole tie rod and drag link setup. Instead of replacing ends in stock drag link & tie rod, I'd rather upgrade it all to something more substantial.

This kit just shipped to my home. I'll do a write up and review on here eventually as I install it. Its a kit that takes welding and fab tools and a reamer.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,642 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Unsure if JB4x4 still makes the knuckle adaptor.

Back in a day somewhere, in a galaxy not so far away... this was the easiest way and cheapest to achieve crossover steering systems for setups that didn't require or want a full histeer system but wanted something much stronger than OEM to deal with their larger tires and VERY high lift that wasn't quite SOA. Of course, this is taking into account that a cheaper viable option (WJ knuckle) is much more labour intensive though it may be cheaper depending on hoe you acquire the components.

The DOM linkage components are tapped on each end, heim joints used in my application as opposed to TRE's. The adaptor is both welded and bolted to my passenger knuckle (the prior being something that's up to the owner). It is double sheer setup at the knuckle even without the welding part (which again, is not necessary). This was put on with a minor drop pitman so I could achieve a perfect parallel between the tie rod and the drag link. It also doesn't require (context dependent of course) notching the frame for clearance.

Might look into it although I haven't myself... I have heard this knuckle adaptor was discontinued. I eventually am going to address my steering system for full hi steer, full assist and a new gear box, but it's been a great setup. In my neck of the woods, I will probably be able to sell this setup for a pretty penny to offset cost of my future direction now that I think about it.

Looks great. Performs great. 0 bump steering (parallel).

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
have heard this knuckle adaptor was discontinued
As anticanman pointed out to me- welding on cast steel (don’t believe the knuckle is “iron;” it’s a cast alloy steel) can introduce tension and inconsistencies in the metal. You should preheat and cool very slowly. And which is why people started making the double-shear brackets. And then someone began selling them.
I don’t really have a problem with it but drilling the cast part does bother my head as that theoretically makes a weak point although round holes are least likely to create a stress riser.

Point being you can make your own “bracket” and there used to be a drawing on the interestingnet somewhere- probably posted somewhere in /f12

Either way, the WJ knuckle swap gives ?? 31% ?? more contact area in the brake pads to rotors? So shtronger brakes to go that route.

Nevertheless, the aftermarket weld-it-yourself kits are so much stronger than the stock setup with large diameters and heavier wall thickness, OTK either solves or (usually) gets parallel very close or at least much (acceptably) closer, and- like moving a bulkhead 2” in a small boat for more passage room- is going to feel like way more than 2” of distance from the obstacles on the ground. It’s only (iirc) 1-3/4” difference higher in truth but feels huge.

·
Desert Rat
1,506 Posts

This kit just shipped to my home. I'll do a write up and review on here eventually as I install it. Its a kit that takes welding and fab tools and a reamer.
I just finished that same RuffStuff set up on mine. Very pleased with the results. I should update the thread I did on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts