Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned my XJ for about 6 months now and recently I have been experiencing a shaking in the steering. Not violent, just barely noticeable. It starts in the driver-side front tire and works its way across the vehicle in between 60-70 miles an hour. Besides that, it doesn't exist. I only have 86k on the vehicle and the tires are almost new, they are balanced and aligned so no worries there. Just replaced the shocks 1k ago and they greatly reduced the shaking, but its still there. Any suggestions? Could my tires be pitted or cupped?

·
Registered
241 Posts
maybe your steering stabalizer is worn out?????

·
Registered
162 Posts
stabilizer is a ver easy repair and fairly cheap. i would say if you dont know when it was last replaced its probably weak and never hurts to replace it. the only way i know to check it is take it off and see if it still resists movement in both directions. its only held onto the tie rod assemble with 2 bolts. i think the last one i bought was at auto zone for about $35

·
Registered
422 Posts
Balance is good but you can balance a sqaure. If you have a shifted belt or a dented rim or just a tire assembly that has to much road force variation it will balance out on a normal machine regardless. The only way to be sure is a balancer that has road force variation. I've always had one in the shop and it's worth its weight in gold. It's the only thing I'll use to balance on all my rides. The type of vibration and speed at what you're getting it is going to be a tire/rim issue most likely.

·
Resident McGeek
5,873 Posts
Steering stabilizer isn't going to fix that issue, as you can run a modern vehicle without one and not notice it (until you hit a large pothole). Take it for an alignment and have it checked out. They can tell you if anything is out of whack.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shouldn't be the steering stabilizer. I have this problem a lot and it's always the same thing, something is making the tire come out of balance. For me it's usually some snow/ice/mud caked to the inside of the rim, even a little bit will unbalance your tire

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem. Its only on the highway, at 55-65 mph roughly. Its a steering wheel shake, not violent, but like a vibration. My tie rod end at the pitman arm was shot, replaced that. My lugs were different weight/sizes on the front, replaced those. Got new shocks all the way around, it's alot better, but not gone. My tires only have a year and a half on them.

Next step for me is a tire rotation/new steering stabilizer/ and all new tie rod ends, and a fresh alignment. that *should* fix it. But like I said, the tie rod end at the pitman arm did fix that shimmy by 50-70%. So by logic, getting all new tie rod ends to replace the old ones left, should eliminate what little play the front end has left in it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
As for you Chero40L, if you have steering wheel shake, that's usually result of rear tires being out of balance. Try swapping front to back and see if that cures the shake.
Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, I tried that. I got them rotated and balanced twice. First time around, I still had that shimmy at that speed, and everything I read pointed to the wheels. So I had them rotated and re-balanced at a different place and it was still the same. A constant wheel shake at that speed is what pointed me to the wheels, but this shake is different. it's like a vibration, I only feel it, if i'm going around a bend on the highway, where you feel the weight of the XJ shift as you steer with the road. Once the road straightens out no more vibration. I could get brand new rims and tires, there wouldn't be anything left of the wheels to fix, but after doing what I did already, it seems like the problem lies elsewhere.

For me, replacing that decrypted tie rod end at the pitman arm and a fresh alignment really took a lot of that vibration away, like 50-70%. So it's only reasonable for me to think that the other 3 tie rod ends may have excessive wear which may be contributing. They need replaced anyway. If that don't do it, then I'll try something else. Either way, I'm replacing parts that are old anyway.

*sigh* in any case, I had this bugger for about 2 years, and the previous owner did squat to maintain it outside of oil and fluid changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive had the tires balanced 3 times over the last 6 months just for the sake of it. I feel like its not an alignment issue. I drove it over the summer some though with the wheels way out of alignment without realizing it (maybe over 1000 miles). Any chance I cupped the tires or did something to that order? and why am I only feeling it in the front right... Its like a slight wave of vibration that originates in the driver side tire and slowly moves over the vehicle in repetition about once every 5-7 sec when driving 60-70. If my tie rods are blown, how much is a fix for that and who makes the best?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shaking is not uncommon for xj's. Be sure to check these things, tire balancing , rotor balancing , tie rods worn, steering box slack worn, bushings in control arms bad, track bar ( track bar is a common problem) , bearings in axel out, and of course front end alignment . Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It's not a bad idea to replace your steering stabilizer, but that won't cure the problem. It comes down to balance and tire roundness, with maybe a bent rim or thrown belt somewhere in the mix.
Local fella has a tire shop; decent guy, he's even hunted down at our camp. But his tire balancer couldn't balance a cup on a saucer. Don't know if he didn't service the equipment or what. Such equipment gets used hard and is subject to wear. Also had some tires that were out of round from new, and they can't be balanced, IMHO. Not familiar with the road force machine, nor if it can solve that kind of problem.
Had a Honda several years ago that resisted all efforts to balance the tires. Finally pitched an extra large fit (hate to do that) and the dealer replaced them under warranty. Back during the Carteresque 55 limit, you couldn't get anything to balance; always guessed the tiremakers let QC go to hell because of the low speeds.
Look around for a tire shop with high standards and a good rep; try a balance there. Only way I solved a shimmy in my last XJ.
Moon

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Had the exact same issue, happened everytime at the same portions of the road/freeway, maybe because the road was slighlty uneven or something (couldn't tell). The new stabilizer bar bushings did NOTHING. Changed the steering damper, helped a little. Alignment did the job. It know it wasnt my tie rod ends coz they're shot and I need to change them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.